Commander
Commander

ETA on RHEL 8.3 being supported for 4.8 ?

Being forced to move off SLES to RHEL, and our internally supported RHEL installation will be 8.3.   IDM 4.8.2 is only supported on RHEL 8.2.   Just needing to know about when there will be a patch where IDM 4.8.x is supported on RHEL 8.3.   Otherwise, we'll be required to deploy on RHEL 7.8, and look at moving to RHEL 8.x in the future.

TIA!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

This is an interesting question...
Previously I remember correctly, product supported on the Linux distribution family, like 5.x, 6.x, etc.

On one hand, I can see in the IDM4.8.2 product release statement about support on RHEL 8.2 platform... (and we can expect RHEL 8.3 support in IDM4.8.3).
From another hand, to install ServicePack, you have to install the "original" version, which means the upgrade path going to be be
1. Install IDM 4.8 on RHEL 8.3 (!)
2. Install ServicePack IDM 4.8.2 (3)

At the same time, eDirectory (integrated part of IDM engine) still have "old-style" compatibility statement:
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/edirectory-92/edirectory923_releasenotes/data/edirectory923_releasenotes.html#b1kka6bo
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/edirectory-92/edir_install/data/a79kg0t.html

IMPORTANT:Certified means the Operating System has been fully tested and supported. However, if an Operating System is listed as Supported it means that it has not yet been tested, but it is expected to work.

Certified Server Operating System Version: RHEL 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2
Supported Operating Systems: Supported on later versions of support packs

For the most recent information about the system requirements, see the Release Notes.

NOTE:
To use the ndstrace and ldif2dib utilities on RHEL 8, install the version 5 of ncurses from the RHEL 8 repository.
You must set SELinux to permissive mode on RHEL 8.

I don't expect any issue to host IDM 4.8.2 on RHEL8.3 platform.
Anyway, you have to test all the installation steps in your QA environment before than go to the prod.

Declaimer: This is not an "official" MicroFocus opinion. These are just my thoughts about this topic.

I can recommend getting an "official" MF statement from your MF rep.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.