mudit_gupta Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

How can I take backup of NetIQ IAM User application & other task

Need guidance on below topics:

1. I am going to make certain changes on my User Application thus before doing that I need to take backup. Can someone kindly guide me on how to do that.

2. I need to make certain changes in my User App, such as: I don't want my end user to view tab on their dashboard like:

- Administrator tab

- Under Work Dashboard >> "Setting tab"

- Identity Self Service >> "Organizational chart"

- "Information" under my profile

- And removing all languages except English under "Edit preferred language tab"

Can someone kindly guide me on that.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: How can I take backup of NetIQ IAM User application & other task

One problem with User App (I like it, don't get me wrong, I just want it to be better) is that the various components are stored in different places.

Roles/Resources are mostly stored in eDirectory. SO your changes won't affect that.

Prior to IDM 4.7.2 most of the User preferences were stored in eDirectory under the User App Driver.

In 4.7.2 more of it moved into the Database. 

Problem is, if you back up everything (eDir/DB/tomcat config files) how do you orestore just the parts you want, and that is where I wish it were better.

Trusted Contributor.

Hi geoffc,

Thank you so much for replying back. Actually I am just a beginner in this application thus was facing some issue.

Is it possible if we go to Administrator >> Portal setting
we 'll have IDMProv file there and if we export it, it'll be similar to taking a backup of User Application.

Apologies if above reply doesn't make sense. I hope I can get more clarification
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Like I said, User App and ID Apps are more complex than one monolith to back up and restore.

the IDProv WAR file is not modified (anymore, was in 4.0x days, not anymore) by configuration.

Instead pre 4.7.2 it is stored on the configuration.Configitems.Appconfig.UserApp.driverset.acme.net object in your eDir tree.  (I.e. Under the User App IDM driver object, under appconfig, under Configitems, on the cn=configuration object) in a large XML blob in the XMLData attribute.

That might be worth backing up.

With the iD Apps in 4.7.2 and higher the config is more stored in the DB itself.  But much more is in the DB than just the config and I am not sure they ever documented what exactly is the extend of the config in the DB so backup/restore would be hard.

This is why you have a test environment and screw around there, not in prod.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you so much geoffc for the clarification.

Actually there is one more thing that i would like to ask, which i mentioned in my post as well:

I don't want my end user to view tab on their dashboard like:

- Administrator tab

- Under Work Dashboard >> "Setting tab"

- Identity Self Service >> "Organizational chart"

- Few Info... under my profile

- And removing all languages except English under "Edit preferred language tab"

Can you provide me some idea on how can i do that.

Thanks again for above solution.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It drives me crazy when people refuse to answer without knowing the version in question. However here, it depends.  What version of User App are you running?

The reason I ask is over the various iterations ince IDM 4.02E and higher the IDMProv style interface has been slowly replaced.

In 4.7.2 and higher it is basically gone.  But along the way, different parts are moved to different places.

So I will assume a fairlly modern version, say 4.7.2.

In that case, login as a User App Administrator. (Usually uaadmin account set up during install.  This is an account that is flagged in the DB not in eDir )

Then in the upper right hand corner there is a menu with your username. Select Settings.

I think what you are looking for is here.

There is actually a fair bit of functionality available here. There is a notion of clients. Define a set of users, based on an LDAP filter.

I.e. Students (employeeType=Student) vs staff (employeeType=Staff) vs Faculty (employeeType=Faculty)

Then each 'client' can have different settings.

These are now stored in the DB instead of in eDir as they were previously. (I am of mixed opinions on this decision).

Trusted Contributor.

Hi Geoffc, Thank you so much for the clarification, it helped.

We're actually using User Application v4.6.2 (upgraded from v4.0.2)

One more thing I was wondering, if you could help me in this regards.

After upgrading to v4.6 we can see that:

1. Users who are in Employee container (in eDirectory) are able to see "Administration" tab once they login to User Application, while

2. Users who are in Contractors container are not able to see the "Administration" tab.

>>My aim is that neither employee nor contractors or any End user should be able to see  "Administration" tab.

Also I have a question:

1. How can employees are able to see Admin Tab and Not contractors?

2.In Order to perform above change what should I do ?

0 Likes
Nihii Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Nihii,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the above documents can't provide me help on that topic
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.