Projected new Environment

IDM 4.7.3

• Context IDM2.<School Name>.Vault

2 - SLES 12.4

eDirectory – 9.1.3

• Tree "Vault"

Running Drivers 

• Delimited

The old environment is being phased out and the school is moving from the old Database school system to a cloud based system with data access from downloads.

I have installed two SLES server (12.4) in a new context within the same tree.

The goal is to install IDM 4.7.3 in the new context, install / configure the delimited driver to process the new data format.

The old drivers will be migrated from the 4.0.2 IDM to 4.7.3 IDM one at a time after validation before addressing the next driver. The JDBC drivers will not be migrated and no driver will be running in both environments at the same time. After all is migrated to 4.7.3 the old IDM system will be removed and SLES 11.3 server also removed

I looked through the silent.properties options but may be missing the correct combination

I need to install 4.7.3 without touching the old 4.0.2 version.

Is there an option to install but not upgrade current systems?

Thanks

Dan

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: How to Install Second instance of IDM on same Tree

Jump to solution

Hi Dan,

You in the right direction.

>The old drivers will be migrated from the 4.0.2 IDM to 4.7.3 IDM one at a time after validation before addressing the next driver.

I use for my migration same approach.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Dan,

You in the right direction.

>The old drivers will be migrated from the 4.0.2 IDM to 4.7.3 IDM one at a time after validation before addressing the next driver.

I use for my migration same approach.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

I think Alex missed an important point, which is, do NOT make a new driverset in a new context. Instead add a new server with new IDM into the existing driverset and move the drivers over one by within the driverset, simply by disabling on the old server and running on the new one.

The only real compatability issue will be the User App which needs to run the right driver and Web app at the same time so move them together.  There reinstalling a new instance may just be easier.  But a new web app not a new IDM system.

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

>do NOT make a new driverset in a new context. 

It depends... Sometimes creation of new driverset will have a sense...

Simple driver disabling on the old server and enabling on the new server, when both servers part of the same driverset,  remove needs to fix driver associations.

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

True enough.  There are always exceptions.

In general if doing an upgrade, it is rarely a good idea to make a new driver set.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanks for everyone's input
I'm like the idea of a new clean system but I understand there are pros and cons of using the old driver set vs new driver set.
This system been running for at least ten years and the school is happy with all that it does.

One area that I not sure and I'm maybe missing the correct doc is the IDM version.
At one point I see a line that only 4.5 or above can be migrated to 4.7.
So based on that line and using the old driver set, do I need to either install 4.0.2 on the second server and upgrade the new server after everything is moved and tested or do I need to upgrade the 4.0.2 to 4.5 or above?

Preferred model can I install 4.7 on the second server and able to migrate to the new server / 4.7

Also, and I feel stupid with this question. But every time I try to install 4.7 it asks to upgrade the current 4.0.2 environment.
What is needed to not upgrade the 4.0.2 or is later in the process I have a more options?

I am setting up a test model in a virtual environment to test my questions.
IDM is mission critical to the school and school starts soon so I can not impact the school

Thanks
Dan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.