Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
liasson Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

How to find request sending attestation reminders

Hi!

Anybody knows how to find a request that sends reminders and terminate it?

Only identification I have is the recipient of the mail.

The recipient is terminated in the eDir and should not receive mails.

From the mail address I can, of course, identify the user and retreive the users DN.
The question is about how to find the request that generates the mail.
Where can I e.g. search for 'assigned to', which I can see in iManager for workflows?

Can I do this in iManager or directly in eDir or UA DB?

BR
/Thomas

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
rivey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: How to find request sending attestation reminders

If the email is being sent by userapp (workflow), the catalina.out file will have a log message each time it sends an email.  While I don't believe it has the email address, it does show the DN of the addressee.  A simple grep of the catalina.out searching for the CN of the user may point you directly to the PRD and step within the PRD where the email is being sent.

If it is from a driver and is using an email template, you can search all of designer for the email template by name and find all references to it in all drivers (and workflows).  This will help you identify which driver(s) may be using it.  It'll point you directly to the driver/policy/rule that is executing it if I recall.

If it is not using an email template, you may be able to find it by simply searching designer for a unique string within the email.  As with above, designer will point you directly to the driver/policy/rule.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi!

Thanks for the response, but I cannot find the user in the catalina.out.
I suspect the mail comes from a flow where the attestant is a group.

Anybody know if a flow with reminder looks up group members when reminder is invoked or when the request is started?
Can the email be stored in the request and thus hold an old value?

BR
/Thomas

0 Likes
rivey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

In a workflow, the membership of the group is determined at the time when the task goes to execute the email reminder.  For example, if you start a workflow a week ago, but it is assigned to a first approver for the first week, then today is goes to the second approver, which is a group, the email reminder will be sent to everyone who is a member of that group today, at the point in time the workflow transitions to that approval.

This also works for approving.  If it has been sitting on that group approval since this morning and I go add myself to the group that the approval is assigned, I should be able to login to userapp and see that approval in my queue, as I am now a member of the group.  I will not have the email for it though, since I was not in the group at the time the approval was assigned to the group.  If a reminder email is scheduled to go out tomorrow, I will get the reminder, if I am a member of the group when it goes out.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for clarifying.
Sounds like it shouldn't be a group attestation that is sending my reminder then, since I cannot find any membership for the user.

The problem is I cannot see any traces of a mail to the user in catalina.out either (is INFO level enough?), so I'm currently kind of stuck when trying to identifiy the instance generating the mail.

BR
/Thomas
0 Likes
rivey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Are you sure it isn't coming from a driver?  There are some in OOTB drivers, such as AD.  I believe by default AD will send a notification to the user in the event there is a password synchronization error from the vault to AD.

Have you checked your email templates to see which email template is being sent?  You can then use the designer search function to find everywhere that particular email template is being used, both in PRDs as well as drivers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.

Yes, I searched for the template, which is used in several workflows, but I could not find the workflow related to the mail receiver.
I hope I solved the problem by removing a bunch of workflows initated quite a long time ago.
I'll find out in a week.

It would have been nice to be able to search in iManager for workflows assigned to a certain user.
BR
/Thomas
0 Likes
rivey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

In the idmdash UI for version 4.5+, you can search for tasks of others on the task page if you have the appropriate role within User Application.  These will be active approvals assigned to them.  If you want to see all requests, you can check the request history page and view request history of others as well.  These two should help you find things, depending on whether you're looking for an approval step or just informational messages being sent to an initiator or recipient.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

The search does only allow for search on name and I cannot be sure if any of the results are actually for the specific person. Would have been nice to search on cn or uid.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Also … will such a search find an assignement by group?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.