ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

How to implement screen flow in Designer and UserApp IDM 4.8 Form Builder

Hello, I am trying to implement a screen flow using the new form builder in IDM 4.8

I have defined the work flow, the first page is a request form which does a forward to the second page.

I used a 4 page series approval workflow.

My design is to buffer the data across pages and persist in eDirectory on the last page.

So, the 2nd and 3rd pages should be a non-approval page really, but I don't know how to do that.

They should just pass the data as the user fills the forms per page and click continue.

In the form builder, i could not find a way of transitioning to next page.

The submit action does not work, When I click the submit button on the initiator page, it shows a spinning circle in the button and does not forward to the next page as per workflow.

There is not documentation in the NETIQ site on how to implement this.

This functionality will only take me a day to implement by handcrafting in html5, javascript and an eDir utility, but I have spent over a week, because we wanted to use the microfocus tool chain and the formbuilder.

Any help, docs etc will be most appreciated.

I found this doc, but its not helpful :

https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-48/FormioHelp/userguide/form-components/

7 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi,

For the “The submit action does not work, When I click the submit button on the initiator page, it shows a spinning circle in the button and does not forward to the next page as per workflow.” , we should be providing the API to be called on submit. These are configured in Request and Approval Form templates.

We need follow steps mentioned in  https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-48/form_builder/data/form_builder.html for creating forms from template.

For Wizard based forms:

• Create an empty form in designer.
  • Edit the form from js editor.
  • Modify the display key from “form” to “wizard”.
  • Save and Close.
  • Re-open the form to use it in the wizard mode.

Thanks,

Suma B R

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello Suma,

Thanks for your reply.

I have explore the options you stated.

Basically, I have created a 3 step workflow with the initiator page being a request form and the 3 other forms being approval form.

The approval forms have different html components like text, dropdown, date picker etc

I have not implemented persisting the data at the moment.

But, when I click the Submit button on each page, it creates an approval task in the NetIQ Identity Manager - UserApp > Task. So, I have to manually, approve via the Request Link (which points to the Form created by the form builder).

But my requirement is buffering the data as user navigate from Page1 > Page2 > Page3 > Page4 (Where an approval request is submitted) . So, I do not want an approval task from Page 1,2,3 only data buffering and final data persistence to eDirectory on the final Page4.

I also saw some rest endpoints in the JS Editor, at right hand corner {...} e.g.

Back to your proposal, I tried adding the following logic to the javascript function ie.

location.href='Page2-URL';

But, I could not figure out a validate URL for my pages i.e. forms created in Designer and deployed to Identity Vault via PRD (Provisioning Request Definition).

Question: Do you know how to figure out the absolute URL for the pages I have deployed in the Identity vault?

It appears the forms are implemented as angular java scripts, because I cannot find the web pages in the IDM Userapp tomcat instance e.g. /opt/netiq/idm/apps/sites/forms

The forms created in the designer are stored in the designer workspace as a XXX.digest and XXX.formRequest files. But, those files format don't exist in tomcat in the UserApp servers.

In a nutshell, how do I implement navigation from Page 1 to Page 2, when a button is clicked in IDM UserApp?

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes

I guess, you need a workflow with 3 step approval and data to be passed from one approval form to next.

I have created a workflow with 2 approval, data passed from reason in

request form -> text field in approval 1 -> test field in approval 2.

Also attaching the GIF. Pls have a look at the workflow.

Note: In Designer, import the workflow at Provisioning View-><Server> - > User Application Driver level.

GIF explaining the workflow

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks brsuma.

Your reply and GIF confirms I was doing the right thing.

I did create a 3 stage approval workflow, that works by creating an approval per screen transition, but thats not what the end client want.

We do not need an approval per screen. We need an identity record written to eDirectory and an approval task created on the 4th page of the screen flow.

So, I am writing an angular app which is triggered from the user app dashboard i.e. from request menu, same location as where the PRD flow is triggered.

The app will buffer data across multiple pages and on last one update eDirectory with the user details and create an approval task, which should be accessible via the task list for the approver.

I am using the netiq userapp rest API for this. 

I may need you help at triggering a new standalone angular app from the dashboard.

May have to create a new ticket depending on how I get on.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I am not sure you are on the right track here. It sounds like you want a wizard, or you want one form's submit to launch you to the next form. You would do that as a single request or approval activity in the workflow, but each form it launches could theoretically be built out as a multi-page chain or wizard based form.

I am with you on the documentation; I am really early on the learning curve here having built dozens of the old forms. Fundamentally, the workflow defines passing work (approvals) from one person to another, or taking system actions like modifying an object (entity), granting an entitlement, requesting a role or resource, etc. The form is how you present the user interface at each step of interacting with an end user.

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks rrawson, see my comment above to brsuma.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.