UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IDM 4.7 - unable to start tomcat service

Hi all,

I installed IDM 4.7 and UserApplication to the existing environment as another IDM instance with some issues with driverset (mentioned in my other post on NetIQ forum). Next issue what I am facing to is this:

[root@lnxsrv:/mnt]
# systemctl restart netiq-tomcat
Job for netiq-tomcat.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status netiq-tomcat.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
[root@ lnxsrv:/mnt]
# systemctl status netiq-tomcat.service
● netiq-tomcat.service - netiq Logging Service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/netiq-tomcat.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-04-10 12:55:47 CEST; 6s ago
Process: 1631 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/netiq-tomcat start (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 1631 (code=exited, status=127)

Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv su[1671]: (to novlua) root on none
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv su[1671]: pam_unix(su-l:session): session opened for user novlua by (uid=0)
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv netiq-tomcat[1631]: su: warning: cannot change directory to /opt/netiq/idm/apps/novlua: No such file...ectory
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv netiq-tomcat[1631]: Using java options: -server -Xmx1024m -Xms512m -Xss256k -Dcatalina.config=file:/....clien
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv netiq-tomcat[1631]: Using command line arguments: -config /opt/netiq/idm/apps/tomcat/conf/server.xml
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv netiq-tomcat[1631]: /opt/netiq/idm/apps/tomcat/bin/startUA.sh: line 24: /opt/netiq/idm/tomcat/bin/st...ectory
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv systemd[1]: netiq-tomcat.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv systemd[1]: Failed to start netiq Logging Service.
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv systemd[1]: netiq-tomcat.service: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 10 12:55:47 lnxsrv systemd[1]: netiq-tomcat.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
[root@ lnxsrv:/mnt]

Any idea what can be wrong?

Linux server is SLES 12SP3

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Milan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ok, I found following message in /var/log/messages...
netiq-tomcat[2713]: /opt/netiq/idm/apps/tomcat/bin/startUA.sh: line 24: /opt/netiq/idm/tomcat/bin/startup.sh: No such file or directory

I am asking myself... why?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Did your install NOT complete properly?

Is that directory and file accessible by the 'novlua' user? I doubt this
is the problem, but probably worth verifying while you are at it.

Does the IDM engine run properly despite the Designer error? I am
guessing not, but for other reasons, mainly that the per-replica bits are
not yet deployed, but that goes back to how this upgrade was meant to
happen, which I do not think is going to work currently without your
original copy of Designer. Do you have that nearby?

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am not able to replicate this in my VMs...
from any reason, the installation process at my customer does not create /opt/netiq/idm/tomcat
I will completely uninstall all components and also remove server from replica ring and will start from scratch.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

the issue was that when we uninstalled all components from the server, we wanted to delete also all directories and also remove all novell/netiq RPMs (unfortunately, the uninstaller does not uninstall/unregister all installed packages).
The directories were deleted but we forgot to remove one RPM. But directory was gone. Installation process ignored to install this package and some files were missing.

@NetIQ: Installer should maybe try to reinstall packages if they are already installed. Or installation process should ask me if I want to reinstall existing RPM.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Which RPM was it that was left installed?

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

good question. Once, I forgot to uninstall NICI rpm but what was the package which did not install tomcat correctly, I do not remember.
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Just had this happen to me. The RPMs that were left installed are: netiq-idmtomcat and netiq-configupdate
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.