Dhaval Patel Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

IDM clustering with 3 servers

Hi,

My customer environment, I have two servers in DC site [network 1] and one server in DR site [Network 2].

How can we create HA in DC site and clustering using three servers for IE, edir and iapplication? as per the customer requirement, DC site servers will work active and passive when both the server down then DR site server will work.

If it is possible then request you to provide the required steps to do clustering using three servers and also shared any other possible way to do clustering because into NetIQ guide we can't find proper steps to do that.

Into guide, we found only HA with two servers but we didn't found HA of iapplication and clustering of IE and edir in two different networks.

After that, I want to know about how it can transfer data toward the DC to DR environment? it means can we required any other devices like a load balancer or shared storage and iscsi server.

Please provide a solution as soon as possible because we have to finalize deployment to the customer.

Regards,
Dhaval Patel
Email: dhaval.patel@sattrix.com

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Michiel Los Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: IDM clustering with 3 servers

From your story it is not clear what your requirement are exactly. Idm driver van only run on one server at a time. Replication of edit data will happen automatic when the setup is done and network is available. You have to setup the edir according to the edir admin guide. When drivers must be started on the dr environment you have to configure these appropiately but these can not or in manual start because than your events will be processed more than once. These must be disabled and enabled in dr situation. At that moment you will have lost the events between going down at one site and enabling the other site.

Best Regards
Michiel Los
0 Likes
stharp Contributor.
Contributor.

There is a high end IDM software to do site failover. It is not a software you can buy and install it is done by Microfocus internal employees because it is so complex.  Do edir and IDM in a cluster is not really hard David Gersik  has serval writeups on how he did it. The poor mans version of this is to create a single eDirectory Tree that has your IDN driver set spanned across servers in both locations,. When you loose one location you light the drivers manually on the DR site.  The critical thing to make this work is to have all server-specific info on the man site and the Dr site. Good luck this is not a simple matter.

0 Likes
Dhaval Patel Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi stharp,

Thanks for the information and also I know it's too complex architecture.

Actually, I have done this HA for IDM but I don't about the HA with site clustering if you know any documentation or some guide steps so please share with us that helps a lot.

0 Likes
stharp Contributor.
Contributor.

As I mentioned before they have software to do site Clustering but it is not for sale unless you contract them to design and install. They have a demo of an Airline that uses it but the cost would be prohibited unless your customer is of nature or an Airline or large Bank. 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You'll have to have a lot more information than what you've provided. If you have sufficiently fast links between the sites (better than gigabit), you could build a stretch cluster. That assumes you have SAN storage in both sites that can handle the data layer replication.

You should read up on the Linux clustering / multi site clustering. There are ways to do what I think you're looking for here, but it's very non-trivial to set up and maintain. Certainly way more involved than you're going to get in a forum post.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.