Commodore
Commodore

Java NPE when importing a project

I have a test IDM 4.8 environment running on RHEL 7.  When I try to import the project into Designer, it throws a Java null pointer exception and won't import anything except the vault and schema -- no drivers. 

I've tried this from three different machines running two different versions of Designer (4.7 and 4.8) with the same result.  Has anyone else seen this?

(editing to add that I am able to import projects from three other IDM environments - two 4.8 and one 4.6.4 -  without this problem)

Here is the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.importer.DeployImporter$Importer.doImport(DeployImporter.java:1215)
com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.importer.DeployImporter.importFromEDirectory(DeployImporter.java:2329)
com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.DeployImportAction.performImports(DeployImportAction.java:1702)
com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.DeployImportAction.access$1(DeployImportAction.java:1313)
com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.DeployImportAction$2.run(DeployImportAction.java:1201)
org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.runInCurrentThread(ModalContext.java:466)
org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:374)
org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:527)
com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.DeployImportAction.performImports(DeployImportAction.java:1219)
com.novell.idm.deploy.internal.DeployImportAction.runWithInfo(DeployImportAction.java:279)
com.novell.idm.deploy.project.ProjectManager.addProjectWithListOfDriverSetsAndDrivers(ProjectManager.java:451)
com.novell.idm.projectview.internal.wizards.importproject.ChooseDSPage$7.execute(ChooseDSPage.java:1048)
org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation$1.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:106)
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2313)
org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:118)
org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.runInCurrentThread(ModalContext.java:466)
org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:374)
org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.run(WizardDialog.java:1059)
com.novell.idm.projectview.internal.wizards.importproject.ChooseDSPage.performFinish(ChooseDSPage.java:1063)
com.novell.idm.projectview.internal.wizards.importproject.TreeImportWizard.performFinish(TreeImportWizard.java:52)
org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.finishPressed(WizardDialog.java:853)
org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:438)
org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:619)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:248)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4172)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3761)
org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:832)
org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:808)
com.novell.idm.projectview.internal.ImportProjectAction.run(ImportProjectAction.java:68)
org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:253)
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WWinPluginAction.runWithEvent(WWinPluginAction.java:237)
org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:595)
org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:511)
org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:420)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4172)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3761)
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1151)
org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1032)
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:148)
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:636)
org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:579)
org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)
com.novell.idm.rcp.DesignerApplication.start(DesignerApplication.java:118)
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:380)
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:235)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:648)
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:603)
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1465)
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1438)

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Hi.

Does it make a difference if you open up for LDAP on 389? I have had many issues in 4.8.x that were all ”solved” by having 389 open and allowing logins.

Could be worth a try.

Best regards
Marcus
Commodore
Commodore

No difference.

Commodore
Commodore

The issue is definitely LDAP-related, because I can't bind to LDAP on this server at all. Whether 389 or 636, I just get "connection refused".  I verified that the host firewall is configured to allow those ports. I restarted eDirectory and checked ndsd.log afterward, but didn't see any obvious errors.

I guess I should move this discussion to the eDirectory forum, huh?

Thanks

Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Can an LDAP browser using the same info. connect from the same box?  I.e. That tests LDAP from here to there,.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.