Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
598 views

Max java Heap


Hello All,
i'm getting "Code(-9010) An exception occurred:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" on one of my eDir-eDir
driver. So I have updated the java heap size to 500mb via driverset
properties and restarted the eDirectory on the server. I'm still seeing
the same errors. I added a rule (which was mentioned in the following
http://tinyurl.com/qavrwhr) to the driver to get current heap and max
heap size. Below is the trace...


:eDirectory ST: arg-string("Current heap size:
"+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:totalMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))"))
:eDirectory ST: token-text("Current heap size: ")
:eDirectory ST:
token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:totalMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")
:eDirectory ST: Token Value: "60293120".
:eDirectory ST: Arg Value: "Current heap size: 60293120".
:eDirectory ST:Current heap size: 60293120
:eDirectory ST: Action: do-trace-message(level="0","Current heap
free:
"+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:freeMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")).
:eDirectory ST: arg-string("Current heap free:
"+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:freeMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))"))
:eDirectory ST: token-text("Current heap free: ")
:eDirectory ST:
token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:freeMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")
:eDirectory ST: Token Value: "4478648".
:eDirectory ST: Arg Value: "Current heap free: 4478648".
:eDirectory ST:Current heap free: 4478648
:eDirectory ST: Action: do-trace-message(level="0","Maximum heap
size:
"+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:maxMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")).
:eDirectory ST: arg-string("Maximum heap size:
"+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:maxMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))"))
:eDirectory ST: token-text("Maximum heap size: ")
:eDirectory ST:
token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:maxMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")
:eDirectory ST: Token Value: "60293120".
:eDirectory ST: Arg Value: "Maximum heap size: 60293120".
:eDirectory ST:Maximum heap size: 60293120



even after setting up max heap size to 500mb, I'm seeing only 58mb.
Could some one help me on why dhost is not picking up the change I made
to java heap. Thanks.


--
s_novell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
s_novell's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=2529
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=51501

Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Max java Heap

Perhaps try loading ndstrace and showing the engine startup to see if
anything interesting is in there:


#as the user who owns the appropriate vault/eDir instance:
ndstrace
set dstrace=nodebug
dstrace +time +tags +dxml +init
set dstrace=*m9999999
unload vrdim
dstrace file on
set dstrace=*r
load vrdim
dstrace file off
quit


Just to be sure, after you set those properties on the DriverSet, perhaps
in Designer, did you deploy those changes from the DriverSet? If not,
they were never sent to eDirectory.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Max java Heap


> dstrace +time +tags +dxml +init
> set dstrace=*m9999999


What does *m9999999 do? I did not know that switch! 🙂

PS: you have a good reference with ALL Dstrace switches? I know I do not.

PPS: I am sure he did not deploy/compare the driverset settings, as my
first guess.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Max java Heap

>> set dstrace=*m9999999
>
> What does *m9999999 do? I did not know that switch! 🙂


Set max log size to about 10 MB. The default of 1 MiB is okay, but I like
10 better for most situations.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Max java Heap

On 8/11/2014 12:43 PM, ab wrote:
>>> set dstrace=*m9999999

>>
>> What does *m9999999 do? I did not know that switch! 🙂

>
> Set max log size to about 10 MB. The default of 1 MiB is okay, but I like
> 10 better for most situations.


Ah, I thought that was:
set fmax=9999999 was the way to do that, or somesuch.

You did not answer about a good resource for all the various switches..


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Max java Heap

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:02:58 +0000, Geoffrey Carman wrote:

> PS: you have a good reference with ALL Dstrace switches? I know I do
> not.


Book: eDirectory Field Guide
Author: Rick Killpack
ISBN: 1-59059-553-X


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.netiq.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.
If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Max java Heap


Thanks. I updated the settings on the iManager itself. I will see if
there is anything in the ndstrace.


--
s_novell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
s_novell's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=2529
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=51501

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Max java Heap

> properties and restarted the eDirectory on the server. I'm still seeing
> the same errors. I added a rule (which was mentioned in the following
> http://tinyurl.com/qavrwhr) to the driver to get current heap and max
> heap size. Below is the trace...


Woo hoo! One of my articles! 🙂 Glad to see it helping.

I think Aaron is likely on it, in the next post.
0 Likes
cpedersen Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Max java Heap

Questions which needs to be asked:

- how much physical memory ?
- how much memory have been allocated for database cache ?

If you in general is running out of memory then increasing the heap will
not help you.


On 8/11/14, 5:25 PM, s novell wrote:
>
> Hello All,
> i'm getting "Code(-9010) An exception occurred:
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" on one of my eDir-eDir
> driver. So I have updated the java heap size to 500mb via driverset
> properties and restarted the eDirectory on the server. I'm still seeing
> the same errors. I added a rule (which was mentioned in the following
> http://tinyurl.com/qavrwhr) to the driver to get current heap and max
> heap size. Below is the trace...
>
>
> :eDirectory ST: arg-string("Current heap size:
> "+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:totalMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))"))
> :eDirectory ST: token-text("Current heap size: ")
> :eDirectory ST:
> token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:totalMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")
> :eDirectory ST: Token Value: "60293120".
> :eDirectory ST: Arg Value: "Current heap size: 60293120".
> :eDirectory ST:Current heap size: 60293120
> :eDirectory ST: Action: do-trace-message(level="0","Current heap
> free:
> "+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:freeMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")).
> :eDirectory ST: arg-string("Current heap free:
> "+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:freeMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))"))
> :eDirectory ST: token-text("Current heap free: ")
> :eDirectory ST:
> token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:freeMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")
> :eDirectory ST: Token Value: "4478648".
> :eDirectory ST: Arg Value: "Current heap free: 4478648".
> :eDirectory ST:Current heap free: 4478648
> :eDirectory ST: Action: do-trace-message(level="0","Maximum heap
> size:
> "+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:maxMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")).
> :eDirectory ST: arg-string("Maximum heap size:
> "+token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:maxMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))"))
> :eDirectory ST: token-text("Maximum heap size: ")
> :eDirectory ST:
> token-xpath("java.lang.Runtime:maxMemory((java.lang.Runtime:getRuntime()))")
> :eDirectory ST: Token Value: "60293120".
> :eDirectory ST: Arg Value: "Maximum heap size: 60293120".
> :eDirectory ST:Maximum heap size: 60293120
>
>
>
> even after setting up max heap size to 500mb, I'm seeing only 58mb.
> Could some one help me on why dhost is not picking up the change I made
> to java heap. Thanks.
>
>


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Max java Heap

On 08/12/2014 02:37 AM, Casper Pedersen wrote:
> Questions which needs to be asked:
>
> - how much physical memory ?
> - how much memory have been allocated for database cache ?
>
> If you in general is running out of memory then increasing the heap will
> not help you.


While this Last statement is true, even if the system is completely out of
memory the Xmx setting can be set to any insanely-large number and should
be reported as set to that number from the engine trace; that it is not
being reported as such indicates that the setting is not taking properly,
which is a problem regardless of how much memory the box actually has.

Having the eDir and system memory settings may help, but only once we know
why the heap settings are not applied in the first place.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
cpedersen Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Max java Heap

And engine version / patch level, and eDirectory version, also platform.

Thanks,



On 8/12/14, 1:21 PM, ab wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 02:37 AM, Casper Pedersen wrote:
>> Questions which needs to be asked:
>>
>> - how much physical memory ?
>> - how much memory have been allocated for database cache ?
>>
>> If you in general is running out of memory then increasing the heap will
>> not help you.

>
> While this Last statement is true, even if the system is completely out of
> memory the Xmx setting can be set to any insanely-large number and should
> be reported as set to that number from the engine trace; that it is not
> being reported as such indicates that the setting is not taking properly,
> which is a problem regardless of how much memory the box actually has.
>
> Having the eDir and system memory settings may help, but only once we know
> why the heap settings are not applied in the first place.
>


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.