Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
281 views

Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

Is it possible to enable the synchronization of multiple object classes
via the latest delimited text driver? The customer will be providing
multiple files:
user.txt
position.txt
location.txt
department.txt
costCenter.txt
etc.
The user records will contain only the position/location/costcenter
codes while the other files map the codes to descriptions. The thought
here is to bring in the other files as custom object types and use a
loopback driver to update the user's title based on the position
code/description mapping in the seperate object, costCenterDescription
based on the costCenter code, etc. (similar to the way the SAP
HR/BusinessLogic driver works). I'd rather not have to do this with 7
delimited text drivers. Perhaps the oft-referenced Generic File Driver
for IDM would be more suitable for this since it can provide the file
name as metadata which could possibly be used to set the object class/DN?
Any thoughts/recommendations is appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

Not in the way you're thinking, but you could have something about each
record (an "attribute", or the presence or lack of another attribute) be
something on which you could have policy react. For example, if first
field is 'user', then leave as user class; else if first field is 'group',
convert to a group. Another option: If an object coming in does not have
something that all users have (cn or sn for example) then convert to the
type of object that maps codes to values.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

On 5/8/2014 12:47 PM, ab wrote:
> Not in the way you're thinking, but you could have something about each
> record (an "attribute", or the presence or lack of another attribute) be
> something on which you could have policy react. For example, if first
> field is 'user', then leave as user class; else if first field is 'group',
> convert to a group. Another option: If an object coming in does not have
> something that all users have (cn or sn for example) then convert to the
> type of object that maps codes to values.


As Aaron suggests, you could do this in the Generic File driver, by NOT
defining any additional fields. Then they get named field1, field2, and
so on. And use the first field or the filename (Your idea), if you
would like, to set the object class.

Then for each class, a schema map could do the real attr mapping.
(Otherwise, you get strange attr mapping as you try to define the
singular set of fields to multiple sets of attributes.).

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

On Thu, 08 May 2014 15:28:26 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> Is it possible to enable the synchronization of multiple object classes
> via the latest delimited text driver? The customer will be providing
> multiple files:
> user.txt
> position.txt
> location.txt
> department.txt
> costCenter.txt
> etc.
> The user records will contain only the position/location/costcenter
> codes while the other files map the codes to descriptions.


When I've done this sort of thing, I've used multiple DelimText drivers,
one for each file type, then I strictly control the order of file
submissions, so that the users come after the position, location, and
cost centers are defined by their respective input files.


> HR/BusinessLogic driver works). I'd rather not have to do this with 7
> delimited text drivers. Perhaps the oft-referenced Generic File Driver
> for IDM would be more suitable for this since it can provide the file
> name as metadata which could possibly be used to set the object
> class/DN? Any thoughts/recommendations is appreciated.


You might be able to do it that way, too, but you still have to be
careful with the order of file processing.


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.netiq.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.
If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

David Gersic wrote:

>
> You might be able to do it that way, too, but you still have to be
> careful with the order of file processing.


Just look up all references from both sides, order of incoming records does not
matter then anymore.
______________________________________________
https://www.is4it.de/identity-access-management
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

On 5/8/2014 1:34 PM, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> David Gersic wrote:
>
>>
>> You might be able to do it that way, too, but you still have to be
>> careful with the order of file processing.

>
> Just look up all references from both sides, order of incoming records does not
> matter then anymore.
>

Agreed. It needs to be from both directions anyway since descriptive
names of the locations, departments, etc may change (meaning no user
object change) and the loopback driver would need to search for all
users with the changed departmentNumber in order to update the
description (ou).
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Multiple object classes in single delimited text driver

Phil Cook wrote:

> Perhaps the oft-referenced Generic File Driver for IDM would be more suitable
> for this since it can provide the file name as metadata which could possibly
> be used to set the object class/DN?


Absolutely! If your files have field headers, they can be used as attribute
names, so schema mapping might not even be necessary, and you can use the file
name as app class name. If you have not used it before, give it a try, it's
really worth it.
______________________________________________
https://www.is4it.de/identity-access-management
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.