UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Pass Sync and Exchange account

Good evening!

We need to connect Active Directory 2012 and Exchange 2013 (hosted on WS2012 R2) with IDM 4.8 (hosted on WS2019).

This Active Directory has 2 domains (2 different Forests) linked by a trust relationship, one used to user-related tasks like hosting users & password changes (domain “A”), and the other one by Exchange (domain “B”).

Where should we install remote loader to successfully (i) provision AD users (ii) provision Exchange accounts (iii) capture password changes?

According to the documentation:

• In order to capture password changes, RL must be installed on a member server of “Domain A”.
  • To provision Exchange 2013 accounts, we do need to install Exchange management tools in the same server that holds the Remote Loader.
  • Exchange 2013 Management Tools support up to Windows Server 2012 R2.
  • IDM 48 Remote Loader requires a minimum WS2016 therefore we could not use it.
  • RL 4.7.x is compatible with IDM 48 and simultaneously can be installed on a windows 2012 server.

Questions:

1. Would the following scenario work?

WS 2012 R2, member of “domain A”, with exchange management tools 2013 installed, Remote Loader 4.7.x.

1. Can I provision Exchange 2013 accounts without installing the management tools?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It looks like you have a "Linked mailbox" scenario.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/linked-mailboxes?view=exchserver-2019.

I'm not sure if "default" driver functionality covers this scenario.

Typical Powershell command that creates from accounts domain (Contoso) mailbox in Resource/Exchange domain (Fabrikam)

New-Mailbox -Name "Ayla Kol" -LinkedDomainController "DC1_FABRIKAM" -LinkedMasterAccount " FABRIKAM\aylak" -OrganizationalUnit Users -UserPrincipalName aylak@contoso.com -LinkedCredential:(Get-Credential FABRIKAM\administrator).

>Can I provision Exchange 2013 accounts without installing the management tools?

Installed Exchange management tools allow to "manage Exchange" thru EAC or Powershell. (you can try to copy all required modules/DLL/files from/into different locations manually, but this is a non-trivial task without any real benefits) 

Is this task doable - absolutely!

Easy (default) - No!

If I have to do it, I will use a mix of AD drivers and CLE drivers, that manage executions of custom PowerShell scripts.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.