koceila Contributor.
Contributor.

Remote Loader 4.0.1/2 on Windows 2012Remote loader 4.7 windows server 2016 Core edition

Jump to solution

it possible to install RL 4.7 on DC windows server 2016 Core edition ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Remote Loader 4.0.1/2 on Windows 2012Remote loader 4.7 windows server 2016 Core edition

Jump to solution

I asked exactly the same question year ago and unfortunately, currently, it is impossible.

Current Windows Remote Loader implementation is too tight to Windows GUI interface.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Remote Loader 4.0.1/2 on Windows 2012Remote loader 4.7 windows server 2016 Core edition

Jump to solution

A fine question.  However, the JVM in 4.01/4.02 and 4.7 are very different and have different security requirements so if you wish to send passwords and need SSL/TLS I do not think they will 'talk'.  4.7 RL will require TLS 1.2 and 4.02 will be offering TLS v1.0 or the like, not 1.2 and will fail to connect.

0 Likes
koceila Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi geoffc;

Thank you for your answer.
sorry for the title, i like to edit but i can't.

My question is just to know if we can install Remote loader 4.7 on windows server 2016 Core edition ( not in windows server gui edition) ?
0 Likes
rrawson Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
You could use the Java remote loader but I don't think an ad driver will run there
0 Likes
koceila Contributor.
Contributor.

Remote loader 4.7 windows server 2016 Core edition

Jump to solution

So, that means, we can't use it correctly 

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Re: Remote loader 4.7 windows server 2016 Core edition

Jump to solution
Actually come to think of it, I think we have done this. Core mode on Windows is not like command like on Linux, you can still run most GUI programs, you just don't have explorer as the root shell, instead it's powershell or cmd...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
Running it should work.
I wonder about the installation though. Think its only gui install.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
I think the GUI install will run too. But there are things I can't remember that have to be done manually. It's been a good 10 years since the last client that went with core mode
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
You are correct, the ad driver shim cannot be hosted by the java remote loader.
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
As Rob mentioned, this has been possible using prior versions of the IDM product and earlier editions of windows server. It was never formally supported by Micro Focus though.

However some key things have changed since then.

Most relevant, Microsoft has further restricted the way core edition works in server 2016.

Previously, it was possible to go back and forth between GUI mode and core edition by installing or removing specific windows features.

This was very useful if you had a GUI installer or config app that didn’t like core edition mode, you could temporarily level up to the full GUI, make your changes and then drop down to the core mode again.

This feature sounds great but actually did not work so well in practice. There were issues with servicing of windows patches that meant you had to stick with a specific mode once you started applying windows patches post-initial install. (Otherwise you had to keep the windows installer image always slipstreamed with the latest patches).

So Microsoft has dropped this feature in server 2016. You install one mode or the other and are stuck with that initial choice.

If I recall correctly, one of the issues that did crop up with some driver shins was the trace console. This loads with the user who first connects to server console (normally via RDP). With core mode, RDP connections are disabled out of the box (though they can be enabled)
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

I asked exactly the same question year ago and unfortunately, currently, it is impossible.

Current Windows Remote Loader implementation is too tight to Windows GUI interface.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.