1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Rename a Driverset

Jump to solution

Yes this is definitely possible.

However you may need to tread carefully if you have a lot of IDM drivers that hardcode the name to the old driverset.

Also oftentimes the driverset is also it's own partition, moving partitions has its quirks.

Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
9 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Yes this is definitely possible.

However you may need to tread carefully if you have a lot of IDM drivers that hardcode the name to the old driverset.

Also oftentimes the driverset is also it's own partition, moving partitions has its quirks.

jlrodriguez Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

What scares me the most is the possibility that driver associations are lost.

About the driverset being a Partition, we can allways merge first it and recreate the partition once the object is renamed.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
Associations should be fine but I would never rename it if not absolutely neccisary.
If you have UA in the mix that might have issues as well.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Good point @joakim_ganse, If you IDM Apps / UA in the mix, I would only recommend a DriverSet rename if you are able to safely drop and recreate the IDM Apps database afterwards.

I have renamed UA drivers and renamed driversets - with success, but you should always verify in a test environment that replicates your production environment before you attempt such a drastic action.

You can also create a new driverset with correct name and slowly migrate drivers over to that, but that has its own limitations.

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
I wonder what defines the "correct name" in cases where renaming driverset is required. Personally, "looks better" is all I've run into so far and never bothered renaming as a result.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

In this case, is to remove some spaces from the name "Conjunto de controladores". We have detected that it generates some problems in some of the IDM iManager plugins.

0 Likes
rrawson Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
I have run into some similar issues in the past. Renaming the driver set could have side effects but if it's causing I manager to not work properly, it's a valid reason. it's hard to maintain your house if your hammers are broken

What you may need to do is to search for every instance of the DN of the driver set. Remember that it might exist in multiple forms, the NDAP form, the ldap form, etc. I would start with an ldif output of the driver set and its subordinate drivers, what you be the first place to start making a checklist of objects you might need to update. The caveat there however, is that some data in b64 encoded blobs might also contain XML with the DN in it. You could cut and paste that into one of those online decoder sites.

I am not certain whether or not the user application database has any references to the dn of the drivers, if it does that might be tricky to fix. I'm sure however the config update settings will need to be adjusted.

I think the bottom line here is that this is not for the faint of heart. you will break the system, you will be able to fix it, but it's going to go through a bit of pain to get there.

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
Rather than an LDIF of the driverset, I'd use an XML export from iManager or Designer.

Designer also has that little search button in the top right of each Modeler view that let's you easily find all objects with occurences of a text in your project. Just make sure your project covers all your drivers and related objects

Finally, you could grep/sed your way through the project files on disk, nothing base64 encoded in there, afaik. And with that funky name for that driverset, I doubt you'll match too many false positives...

Jump to solution

IN general, anything using a DN reference (Path syntax included, so DiXMl-Associations, DirXML-EntitlementRef, nrfEntitlementRef and many more) should be fine with a rename.  (They do not really store the string value of the DN they store a 32 bit as the object ID which is not changing, just an attribute of the object is changing).

However, lots of GCV's in drivers will include the string version of the Driver DN which of course is a child of the driverset.

You could export the project to a iManager EXport which is text (XML) and you can search it for all references to find the non-obvious ones.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.