Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Servers are being removed from Driver Set while installing Identity Application 4.8

The servers are being removed from Driver Set while installing the new Identity Application 4.8. Only main server that Designer Headless deploys drivers remains in the Driver Set.

This may be known issue but I can't find any resolution to rectify it.

We have 30+ drivers running on other server and we can't have downtime while we add the servers back to Driver Set and start them again. How to prevent or resolve this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Have not yet done a post-release 4.8 install or upgrade. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Headless designer from experience is used only to deploy the bundled drivers roles and resources driver, user application, DCS and MSG.

Is this a customer without identity apps or reporting previously installed? And you want to add these?

Normally you should be picking upgrade rather than install if you have such components in your environment.
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hello

Just to share our experience. We had similar behavior when we upgraded to IDM 4.7.3 from previous versions of IDM,  it happened always when we installed  "Reporting" RPT application for Identity Application

Cheers

Maqsood.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I ended up commenting out the headless designer references in the install/configure scripts.

Deployed drivers manually instead.

Linux 4.7.x

Know that is probably not supported. But this sort of stuff should “just work”.
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Just curious what is the headless designer?  -- i am already thinking if this is scriptable designer then one can build "CI/CD" pipeline for driver automated deployment to multiple enviorenenments using headless desinger scripts.

/Maqsood.

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

It is a commandline version of Designer used to deploy driverset and drivers during installation/upgrade.

It was at some point documented, and supposed to be used by end-users. But due to some problems, that idea was abandoned. And now it's an undermentioned featured only used during installation/upgrade.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

That's fantastic, we should create feature request to make it available for automated deployments of drivers, this would improve

- scripting naming standards for drivers to different env before their deployments

- settings env specific configuration for drivers for each env.

Netiq should invest into this for clients who has high change rate for their developments with governance and change control processes requirements.

where could one find previous documentation of this?

/Maqsood.

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

There is a Brainshare presentation about it, and I think it's in the 4.5 or 4.0.2 documentation where you can find some information about it.

But the use is as far as I know 100% unsupported, and you'll face the same problem as described in this thread ... loos of drivers in your driver set.

I'd just be happy if we could have selectable GCV's depending on environment (without having to add code), that would satisfy me.

0 Likes

Hi.

You need to have access from IDApps server to IDVault on port 389. Then it works.

Same goes from Designer to IDVault, you need 389 communication otherwise you get alot of issues, specially on Designer 4.8.0. 4.8.1 still has this issue, one is that when you import from IDVault you only get the primary IDVault server.

This is one annoying issue with 4.8.x.

Best regards
Marcus
0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Looks like this issue has not been fixed yet since IDM 4.7.

I have experienced this issue with IDM 4.7 and 4.8 with clients who have IDM and wanted to implement Identity App.

The workaround like using port 389 or commenting out Designer in the configuration script may be the only two options.

Cheers
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.