ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Start a Workflow as Proxy

I have on IDM 4.7.3 a team of 3 people, the manager and his two employees.
The goal is for the manager to be able to configure a proxy for one of his employees and for the employee to start workflows for the team.

So I gave the manager the "configure proxy" rights as well as
"Initiate PRD", "View running PRD", "Configure Delegate" and "Configure availabilty" for the concerned  workflows . I also included the manager (requester) in the list of recipients (Manager-Employee relationship).

The manager can create proxies and the user (direct report) can then connect via "Proxy as". However, it is only possible to manage tasks and not to start a workflow.
I've tried everything and the "Access > Request" tab just doesn't appear.

Am I missing something or is it impossible to start a workflow as a proxy?

Thank you for your Help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

It's been a while since I did this and it was in a much earlier version of IDM. I think it involved perhaps a role assignment, some additional rights for the user to the PRD, but I can't say for sure because it's not a feature I have used more than once.

Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Thank you for your answer.
Do you know what version of IDM it was on? Or what rights were involved?

0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Hi,

as far as I know, in poxy mode, only tasks can be approved.
proxy users cannot start a workflow, only the mangers of a team can start workflows for others. 

regards

Pascal

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

From an API perspective you can most certainly start a workflow as proxy (I have done it). I can't recall the precise details (it turned out we did not use it because of the large number of users we would have had to define as a proxy for our uaadmin). Here's the SOAP call straight from the WSDL as defined by SoapUI:

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:ser="http://www.novell.com/provisioning/service">
<soapenv:Header/>
<soapenv:Body>
<ser:startAsProxyRequest>
<!--Optional:-->
<ser:arg0>?</ser:arg0>
<ser:arg1>?</ser:arg1>
<ser:arg2>
<!--Zero or more repetitions:-->
<ser:dataitem>
<ser:name>?</ser:name>
<ser:value>
<!--Zero or more repetitions:-->
<ser:string>?</ser:string>
</ser:value>
</ser:dataitem>
</ser:arg2>
<ser:arg3>?</ser:arg3>
</ser:startAsProxyRequest>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I think the employees need to be a member of the provisioning managers role (NOT provisioning admin) and then for that particular PRD you need to give them the initiate PRD right.

If I'm right it's because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night 😉 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.