Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Trace levels in ID Apps in 4.7.2, are they still working for you?

I have been trying to troubleshoot some issues in ID Apps 4.7.2 so no problem, I know how to do this, enable the proper trace level in the GUI, configuration, logging and away we go.

But classes that I Know what they SHOULD trace, just plain are not.  Like com.novell.idm.nrf.persist should show me the Code Map refreshes happen, when set at TRACE is not logging it.

In the past, when I was really stuck I would enable com.novell to TRACE and man did I get hit with a firehose, but I could search that for some kind of error and once i found the class throwing the error i could turn off com.novell, and enable that class and work on the issue.

But now, I am getting very minimal logging. Some stuff is being trace, but nothing like it used to be.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in 4.7.2?  (This is probably teh change point since IDMProv is being deprecated for the new ID APps interface in 4.7.2).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Rehtael Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Trace levels in ID Apps in 4.7.2, are they still working for you?

PCRS or CPRS?

Wonder if they broke some of the log for CPRS?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It is nothing to do with PCRS/CPRS.  I gave the code map example since I know what that looks like and had never seen it.  So of course, yesterday I did actually see it happen on a restart.

However the other classes are still logging funny. Funny as in, not really logging much at all.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Sounds like a logging memory leak? Or maybe something about log file size, open files, etc...

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Greetings,
Logging or not logging from the Apps would not be caused by a Logging Memory Leak or PCRS/CPRS It comes down to the logging configuration/settings being seen and loaded into memory. It also depends upon what file is being looked at and what Operating System the Applications are deployed on. Sometimes, I have seen then not work because of jar conflicts in classpath of the application server.

Sincerely,
Steven Williams
Principal Enterprise Architect
Micro Focus

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

So, should children of the class log, if you enable it at a high level?

So if I enabled com.novell or com.netiq to DEBUG then I should be overwhelmed with trace.  But I might find my error message I am looking for.

But I am not.  (I have tried at different levels. )  I have a problem, I can see the class that is bubbling up an error so I want to see more info so I try to enable DEBUG and not getting it.

As for JAR conflicts this is a fresh install of 4.7.2 on Linux, so that seems unlikely

I tried a large number of possible classes, thinking going to the parent would likely show me more info, but I am not getting anywhere near enough log output.

I am looking in catalina.2019-07-11.log

Should I be looking elsewhere?

Can you explain the difference between the idapps.out, catalina.out, and catalina.2019-07-19.log files?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

When I started looking at 4.7, I found everything went to catalina.out until what I guess was file size limit, then only tomcat base stuff could go to catalina.out and things like java.lang.System.out.println would go to out."date" file...but it wasn't consistent....in fact the trace output would not relate to "date", but any one of them...so stupid

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

com.novell.idm.nrf.persist logging just worked fine for me on 4.7.2 (windows) must be something else (like a memory leak)
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

How about this?  Try enabling com.netiq to DEBUG and see how much trace you get. I am not really getting anything. I should be getting tons.

0 Likes
mreddy2 Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi ,

Change trace level to 5, and change the trace limit increase  because every time you starting your driver all processing information stored in Log file.

If you want check you trace file go to WINSCP .

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.