Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
187 views

User Application: Phased Migration


Hi,

We're migrating from IDM 3.6 - UserApp 3.7 to IDM / UserApp 4.0.2.

IDM migration is quite clear and we can have a mixed environment with
the IDM 3.6 servers and the new IDM 4.0.2 servers.

But the User App migration is not so clear specially regarding the User
App driver and the database (altough I have read a lot of documentation
and forum posts).

Is there any way to make a phased migration in which we install and
configure the 4.0.2 servers while the 3.7 servers are working? We have
done some tests and the installation / configuration of the 4.0.2 and
their patches is very long and it would involve too much downtime.

The supposed steps for the migration are:

a) Install the OS and the application server : OK, there is no downtime
at this moment.
b) Migrate the User Application driver and the Role and Resource Service
Driver: Is there downtime? That is, the upgraded drivers works with the
3.7 User App servers?
c) Upgrade the User Application: Is there downtime? It's to say, if we
reuse the existing database, the 3.7 User App servers continue working
with the upgraded database?

Any recommendation from people who has made the migraton in an
environment with serveral User App servers (cluster) and a lot of
workflows?

Thanks,

JM.


--
jlmasmit
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jlmasmit's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=161
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=51295

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: User Application: Phased Migration

On 07/11/2014 08:25 AM, jlmasmit wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We're migrating from IDM 3.6 - UserApp 3.7 to IDM / UserApp 4.0.2.
>
> IDM migration is quite clear and we can have a mixed environment with
> the IDM 3.6 servers and the new IDM 4.0.2 servers.
>
> But the User App migration is not so clear specially regarding the User
> App driver and the database (altough I have read a lot of documentation
> and forum posts).
>
> Is there any way to make a phased migration in which we install and
> configure the 4.0.2 servers while the 3.7 servers are working? We have
> done some tests and the installation / configuration of the 4.0.2 and
> their patches is very long and it would involve too much downtime.
>
> The supposed steps for the migration are:
>
> a) Install the OS and the application server : OK, there is no downtime
> at this moment.
> b) Migrate the User Application driver and the Role and Resource Service
> Driver: Is there downtime? That is, the upgraded drivers works with the
> 3.7 User App servers?
> c) Upgrade the User Application: Is there downtime? It's to say, if we
> reuse the existing database, the 3.7 User App servers continue working
> with the upgraded database?
>
> Any recommendation from people who has made the migraton in an
> environment with serveral User App servers (cluster) and a lot of
> workflows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JM.
>
>

Greetings,
It is not supported to have a mixed environment. Once you start the
move to IDM Engine 4.0.2, you must complete the migration of User
Application to 4.0.2. There are schema and process changes.

--

Sincerely,
Steven Williams
Lead Software Engineer
NetIQ
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: User Application: Phased Migration


Thanks Steve,

I understand that it's not supported but you will agree with me that a
downtime of 12-24 hours may not be acceptable and the risks invoved are
very high.

Anyone can share their experience and give me their advice on how to
reduce the downtime? (other than build a realt test environment and test
the whole process).

I have event thought about working with a copy of the User Application
driver and the database for the installation / configuration of the
4.0.2 servers and in the cut-over, make an incremental export / import
of the changed data in the database but I don't know how to made this
incremental export / import if the database scheme has changed.

Best regards,
JM.


Steven Williams;246472 Wrote:
> On 07/11/2014 08:25 AM, jlmasmit wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're migrating from IDM 3.6 - UserApp 3.7 to IDM / UserApp 4.0.2.
> >
> > IDM migration is quite clear and we can have a mixed environment with
> > the IDM 3.6 servers and the new IDM 4.0.2 servers.
> >
> > But the User App migration is not so clear specially regarding the

> User
> > App driver and the database (altough I have read a lot of

> documentation
> > and forum posts).
> >
> > Is there any way to make a phased migration in which we install and
> > configure the 4.0.2 servers while the 3.7 servers are working? We

> have
> > done some tests and the installation / configuration of the 4.0.2 and
> > their patches is very long and it would involve too much downtime.
> >
> > The supposed steps for the migration are:
> >
> > a) Install the OS and the application server : OK, there is no

> downtime
> > at this moment.
> > b) Migrate the User Application driver and the Role and Resource

> Service
> > Driver: Is there downtime? That is, the upgraded drivers works with

> the
> > 3.7 User App servers?
> > c) Upgrade the User Application: Is there downtime? It's to say, if

> we
> > reuse the existing database, the 3.7 User App servers continue

> working
> > with the upgraded database?
> >
> > Any recommendation from people who has made the migraton in an
> > environment with serveral User App servers (cluster) and a lot of
> > workflows?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JM.
> >
> >

> Greetings,
> It is not supported to have a mixed environment. Once you start the
> move to IDM Engine 4.0.2, you must complete the migration of User
> Application to 4.0.2. There are schema and process changes.
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
> Steven Williams
> Lead Software Engineer
> NetIQ



--
jlmasmit
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jlmasmit's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=161
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=51295

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: User Application: Phased Migration

> I understand that it's not supported but you will agree with me that a
> downtime of 12-24 hours may not be acceptable and the risks invoved are
> very high.


Agreed. The requirements of the USer App upgrade make IDM upgrades very
difficult, alas.

With the engine, you can coexist, run both, and cut over quick, with
minimal outages. With User App it is much harder.

To the point we see customers throwing away the old tree sometimes to
avoid the pain. Which seems more than a bit extreme.

The schema issue that will bite you is two attributes that were defined
initially Case Exact string and need to be changed to Case Ignore.

So coexistance is hard. But as I re-read that UA 3.7 had that schema
change already, I thought.

Regardless, I wonder if you can have the User app installed, but not
talking to the tree, on a server. On a new fresh database.

I.e. No one has hit the WAR yet even once.

Then change the UA driver from the old XML config to a new UA driver
package based.

Do you have long running workflows? This approach would lose them all.
Not sure you will be able to preserve them well anyway.

Then your cutover is IP address/DNS changes from old box to new box.

I would test that, might be possible as a way to minimize downtime.


> Anyone can share their experience and give me their advice on how to
> reduce the downtime? (other than build a realt test environment and test
> the whole process).
>
> I have event thought about working with a copy of the User Application
> driver and the database for the installation / configuration of the
> 4.0.2 servers and in the cut-over, make an incremental export / import
> of the changed data in the database but I don't know how to made this
> incremental export / import if the database scheme has changed.
>
> Best regards,
> JM.
>
>
> Steven Williams;246472 Wrote:
>> On 07/11/2014 08:25 AM, jlmasmit wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're migrating from IDM 3.6 - UserApp 3.7 to IDM / UserApp 4.0.2.
>>>
>>> IDM migration is quite clear and we can have a mixed environment with
>>> the IDM 3.6 servers and the new IDM 4.0.2 servers.
>>>
>>> But the User App migration is not so clear specially regarding the

>> User
>>> App driver and the database (altough I have read a lot of

>> documentation
>>> and forum posts).
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make a phased migration in which we install and
>>> configure the 4.0.2 servers while the 3.7 servers are working? We

>> have
>>> done some tests and the installation / configuration of the 4.0.2 and
>>> their patches is very long and it would involve too much downtime.
>>>
>>> The supposed steps for the migration are:
>>>
>>> a) Install the OS and the application server : OK, there is no

>> downtime
>>> at this moment.
>>> b) Migrate the User Application driver and the Role and Resource

>> Service
>>> Driver: Is there downtime? That is, the upgraded drivers works with

>> the
>>> 3.7 User App servers?
>>> c) Upgrade the User Application: Is there downtime? It's to say, if

>> we
>>> reuse the existing database, the 3.7 User App servers continue

>> working
>>> with the upgraded database?
>>>
>>> Any recommendation from people who has made the migraton in an
>>> environment with serveral User App servers (cluster) and a lot of
>>> workflows?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JM.
>>>
>>>

>> Greetings,
>> It is not supported to have a mixed environment. Once you start the
>> move to IDM Engine 4.0.2, you must complete the migration of User
>> Application to 4.0.2. There are schema and process changes.


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.