Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Windows RL, detect new JAR with a shim class inside

I am confident I have seen this come up before, but my google-fu fails me.   So maybe someone rememebers.

I have a custom JAR, and in Linux RL's I just call the class by name.

Windows RL - File is in the lib directory with all the other shims, and I try to add a driver and my class is not in the list. 

How do you make the WIndows RL tool rescan and see the new class?  I remember seeing a thread on that topic but cannot find it.

I can edit the config file, specify the class, and it works.  But the settings in the gUI are still wrong, they are stored in the registry, so I could go edit that to be correct as well. But I want it to work properly.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Windows RL, detect new JAR with a shim class inside

There are two options.
1. Just edit the text file by hand.
2. Add the jar to the registry.
I don't remember where but you should find it if you search for one of the others.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Not entierly correct.
See the other answers.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Joakim, can you paste in the specific part you are referring to?  I see that link says edit the file and edit the registry. Which works, but I was hoping tehre was a way to make the Shim 'discoverable' by the RL somehow.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I asked Stephaan in email what he had to do. I shall report back here. I wonder if he means you need to build the JAR more like a TAR than a ZIP?  Without compression?  Not sure.  Will get back when I find out more.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yes,

He had to change the jar for it to be discovered. Pretty sure it was the compression that was not allowed.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If it's "uncompressed" that is the key, then use "jar cf0 jar-file" instead of "jar cf jar-file" to create it.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/build.html

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks David, I will ask Rob next time he compiles the shim to try that.  Curious to see if it works.  Good thing these are small shims, so who cares about compression on a 1Meg or less file.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.