Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Cadet 3rd Class Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Workflow Creation for new user

I am very new to workflow. I have been assigned a task to create a workflow which would have the following input fields First Name, Last Name and Manager DN. On submission a User ID would be created <1st Letter of FirstName><Surname>. If duplicate entry found then it gets appended by a number. The password is generated randomly and the user id and password is emailed to the manager.

Please let me know what steps shall I follow to achieve this use case.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Subramanian;2484698 wrote:
I am very new to workflow. I have been assigned a task to create a workflow which would have the following input fields First Name, Last Name and Manager DN. On submission a User ID would be created <1st Letter of FirstName><Surname>. If duplicate entry found then it gets appended by a number. The password is generated randomly and the user id and password is emailed to the manager.

Please let me know what steps shall I follow to achieve this use case.

You'll be creating a provisioning request definition (ie: PRD). It'll have a form, and a workflow. The pieces needed are specified above. You'll need to have a stab at it and let us know where you get stuck. We'll assume you've read the documentation and installed Designer already.
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Except for the password part this is straightforward. Constructing a proposed name and looping through making a DAL query, or even just a "IDVault.get()" trying to read surname until you get a failure to find a non colliding name. There is nothing in the workflow engine to create a random string but I am sure you can find hundreds of examples of how to do that in a google search of javascript samples. But setting the user password will require some special configuration if you are going to do it from workflow (you could use a loopback driver for that bit and it do it in engine policy without much fanfare).

But this will let you set up the DAL to set a password
https://www.netiq.com/communities/cool-solutions/setting-password-workflow/

If you do want to allow the user to choose a password in the form, you can set a text field to password format so the value is obscured, but the problem is that you can't do a "confirm" because that's not a feature, and you can't even build it yourself because once you declare a form as "password" you can't programmatically retrieve the value from it (something about that being a security exposure). If you want to move into some advanced examples, I have solved this problem too:
https://www.netiq.com/communities/cool-solutions/creating-password-field-validating-password-control-netiq-idm-forms/

Good Luck
Rob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.