Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

are packages still supported in IDM future releases?

we are in process of converting all our drivers from the old policies to packages, but heard that in IDM5 or above, micro focus is dividing the publisher and subscriber channels into 2 different components and packages are no longer supported. we want to automate the build /test and deployment process, currently our build and tests are automated as headless Designer supports only packages we want to convert all our drivers to packages, but before we do that we want to know if packages are obsolete in later releases of IDM,

4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@madoori wrote:

we ... heard that in IDM5 or above, micro focus is dividing the publisher and subscriber channels into 2 different components and packages are no longer supported.

Interesting, where'd you get that from? Any more details?

we want to automate the ... deployment process ...

I looked into this a while ago but found it not reducing overall risk and effort, rather just adding complexity and moving risk/effort elsewhere.

Also Designer is so buggy that I never use Live - Deploy and review every Live - Compare listing in detail before hitting the Reconcile button. Often enough I find something suspicious I need to correct or import first before pushing anything to Edir.

IMHO, working with Designer very much demands a "Trust is good, control is better" approach. I would never trust a headless deployment to not break anything accidentally e.g. just because a project is not 100% up to date.

we want to convert all our drivers to packages

Definitely a good idea, also for manual staging/deployment workflows as well as many other reasons (separation of code & configuration, versioning, dependency handling, distribution mechanisms etc.)

@lhaeger is correct in asking where you are hearing this from.

As the PM directly responsible for the product in question, I can tell you that this is not true and has not been discussed. We are moving to a unified IGA Product (combination of IG and IDM) for future releases however the support lifecycles for both IDM and IG is still on going. In a unified IGA product, the goal is to keep all that works in drivers and policy which will include a first class dev-ops approach to build, test, deploy for all connectors. The unified product will seek to remove the need for both "Collectors" in IG and "Drivers" in IDM to a single connector that does both. The data transformation capabilities that exist in drivers is an absolute necessity so having a package based approach to enable administrators the ability to design once deploy multiple times is part of that.

Knowledge Partner

And that what is called an authoritative answer. 

Thanks Tom!  I am glad you were able to make that very clear.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Based on what I have seen of the roadmap for the new versions, I think you are misunderstanding two parts of the process.  There will be a cloud to on prem bridge and that will initially have separate channels, but the driver part is not per se part of that bridge as I understand it. Instead the bridge is to consolidate comms to one port, one connection, saving firewall concerns.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.