UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE.

A First (Remote) Voyage to the Universe

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
1 0 734

Amidst a global pandemic, Micro Focus Universe 2021, Micro Focus’ annual premier customer event, commenced last week. Geared up and ready to go in my polo and sweats with coffee in hand, I attended the Information Management and Governance track. Hearing from IT professionals that have been in the space for longer than I’ve been alive was quite an experience. In my opinion, the IM&G track at Universe had a theme and illustrated two core value points this product portfolio gives to companies:

1. Power to the remote employee.

2. Power to the company.

Power to the Remote Employee

With a traditional in-person office setting for businesses, the power is in the hands of the business with resources and technology being only available in a physical location. The increase in remote workers has shifted much of that power to the employee when a business can provide the resources needed to be, in a sense, their own business. However, this can create other unique hiccups to overcome, for example, an increase in data to organize, analyse, archive, and comply with.

Power to the Company

According to informationweek.com, the biggest killers to IT team productivity are too much time spent on tedious tasks, managing broken or outdated processes, and lack of visibility across the team. Mitigating these pitfalls can ensure your company is in a strategic position for success. In addition to process efficiencies, mining actionable insights from the ever-increasing pool of data can be one of the most valuable competitive advantages organizations can see today. Know your data, drive your future.

Micro Focus Universe 2021 - IM&G Track

Employees and data form the bedrock of our IM&G story and are featured heavily in the track sessions at Universe. All Universe 2021 sessions are available on demand.

In the meantime, here’s my small take on some of my favourite sessions:

info.jpg

A New Era of Collaboration – True Tales of Trials and Triumph from Micro Focus Customers

Today’s digital work age brings some major benefits like avoiding the inexorable microwaved fish aroma from your favourite co-worker, but also brings some challenges like finding a way to collaborate remotely. Needing to provide a way for more employees to work remotely and securely, FCP Fritsch utilized pieces of ZENworks to facilitate their digital transformation. With ZENworks, they were able to allow over 95% of their workforce to work remotely overnight with access to everything they needed. Yep, overnight. That’s some major power to the company. Read the full story here.

Control Business Data Start to Finish – Real World Examples of Reducing Risk, Complexity & Cost

Contrary to simply tacking on a new technology to fix a problem, the Micro Focus Enterprise Content Management Suite is an approach.

The power in a solution like Content Manager lies in its ability to get your users the answers they want fast. An employee with the answers they need when they need them is an empowered employee.

Read the Content Manager brochure here.

Data Protector in Action – Secure Backup and Fast Recovery

If data is such a valuable asset for an organization, why are we not taking more proactive steps to, in a sense, insure that data?

“The single most effective deterrent to ransomware is to regularly back up and then verify your system.” - ALEXANDER VOLYNKIN, JOSE MORALES, AND ANGELA HORNEMAN

To me, a data protection tool like Micro Focus Data Protector is a no-brainer for any business. Having a backup of all company data is the ultimate power play. See how Data Protector safeguards against ransomware here.

Analytics – Where Data Becomes Strategic Insight

What is the point of data if you can’t use it to make strategic business decisions? Hint: there isn’t one. As one of my favourite Micro Focus use cases, IDOL has specifically been used to help Jaguar Racing gain instant competitive insights on the track through mid-race data analytics. (COOL) Read the full story here. IDOL gives companies power by turning data into strategic insight for decision making.

format2.jpg

My Universe Takeaway

The theme of Micro Focus Universe 2021 was, “Win in a Digital Economy.” The world is different now and will – don’t hate me for saying it – likely be different forever. Going forward, rather than people conforming to how a business is run, people will work how they will and it’s up to the

business to provide the necessary tools to enable and empower their employees to be successful. The Micro Focus IM&G Portfolio helps companies know their data, empower their people, and drive their future through insight empowered.

Again, if you would like to rewatch any session, see our on demand page here.

For more information on all the products included in the IM&G product portfolio, download our ebook, Insight Empowered or visit our IM&G site.

insightt.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have technical questions about Information Management products? We have discussion forums for every IM&G product.

Do you have an Idea or Product Enhancement Request about IM&G products? Submit it in Idea Exchange.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this blog. Comment below.

The Micro Focus IM&G team

Know your data | empower your people | drive your future

Join our community | @microfocusimg | www.microfocus.com | What is InfoGov?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.