Guest post by Gautam Bhasin
Senior Product Manager, Data Protector
We are excited to announce the availability of Data Protector 2019.02 and Backup Navigator 2019.02, a companion product to Data Protector; our enterprise-grade backup and disaster recovery solution for diverse, distributed enterprises. Built on a scalable and adaptive architecture that combines analytics, automation, and security, Data Protector enables organizations to meet the most demanding data protection, disaster recovery, and compliance requirements for hybrid IT environments.
With this release, we introduce enterprise usability improvements, enhanced reporting, and virtualization support. We continue to deliver best-in-class integrations with enhancements for NetApp storage, and the latest versions of databases and platforms.
Here are the highlights of this release:
- Integrated reporting
- Over 12 new integrated reports are made available with this release, most on both the DP Express and DP Premium versions, to provide greater insight to backup scheduling and operation.
- Manager-of-Manager (MoM) configurations now supported. This common configuration is supported by importing all Cell Managers to the same reporting server. The MoM Cell Manager is imported last and enables consolidated views and
- Backup Navigator 2019.02 adds support for Data Protector 2019.02, enhanced user experience with animation on graphical reports, enhanced table responsiveness, and serviceability improvements.
- Infrastructure integrations and certifications
- Zero Downtime Backup (ZDB) for NetApp C-mode with ONTAP 9.x enables Data Protector to leverage array-based snapshot to backup filesystems, SQL, VMware and Oracle providing fast and efficient backups. ZDB integration will now use the NetApp SMI-S agent.
- NDMP certifications are completed for several new platforms including:
- NetApp C-Mode NDMP with Windows Server 2019 NDMP MA
- Dell/EMC Isilon NDMP with Windows Server 2019 NDMP MA
- Dell/EMC Unity NDMP 3-Way
- Data Protector is now running on the open source OpenJDK, replacing Oracle JAVA to protect against security vulnerabilities.
- Extending the comprehensive support matrix, this release includes support for MySQL 8 enabling Data Protector to backup and recover the latest MySQL version available in the market.
- Virtualization Enhancements
- Data Protector Express now supports filesystem backup and disaster recovery thus improving protection for Cell Managers.
- H3C CAS virtualization enhancements include support for multiple virtual machine selection and backup preview to provide better usability when backing up CAS environments.
- Enterprise Readiness
- Installation and upgrade improvements include enhancements related to handling of LDAP/AD configurations, user authentication, license checks and scheduler improvements.
- Documentation changes
- Online help has been replaced with an offline bundle of the entire documentation for the current release. The context sensitivity is retained. In addition to viewing the help topics, you can now browse through the entire documentation, offline.
- Documentation is localized into French, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese languages. The localization content available will always be at the previous release level. For example, Data Protector 2019.02 documentation contains localized content for Data Protector 2018.11.
- Practitioner notes in the ITOM Practitioner Portal is a node where product experts within or outside the company can share information pertaining to ITOM products. This node is created for the maintenance of technical information that supplements the product documentation.
Contact your Micro Focus Partner or Sales Representative today to find out how to take advantage of this new release.
For more information on Data Protector 2019.02 including technical guides, product features and support matrices, please visit the Micro Focus Practitioners Portal.
Data Protector 2019.02 is available for a free 90-day trial!