Mobile communications are more prevalent than ever! Whether your organization has BYOD, corporate issued, or a combination of both, you need to have oversight and archiving of all mobile communication data. Mobile archiving is essential for regulation compliance, data management, and oversight.
Mobile Device Usage at Work
Osterman Research recently published a white paper "The Growing Importance of Archiving Mobile Text Messages". In this white paper, it was found that:
- 1/3 of the typical information worker’s day is spent working on a mobile device, and much of this involves send or receiving text messages and other communications.
- 28% of employees use a company-supplied smartphone
- 36% use a personal smartphone for business purposes.
Why Archive Text Messages?
What are the main reasons to archive mobile communication data? The primary drivers will vary by organization and industry, however according to the Osterman report, here are some of the reasons to archive text messages:
- Regulatory compliance: regulated industries, such as financial services, healthcare, energy, government, etc. are most concerned with regulations, however all organizations are subject
- Litigation support and eDiscovery: Almost all organizations will be involved in legal action. Because of this, and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP), which states that organizations must preserve and readily produce mobile communication data, text messages must be archived.
- End-user self-service: Preserve data for longer periods of time and allow users to access this archived data, freeing up storage for "live" data
- Retention of corporate memory: Retain relevant information to maintain an appropriate record of an organization's history, or memory.
Even though many employees are using mobile devices to communicate at work, only a small portion of organizations archive this data, despite the fact that archiving mobile communication data has been a best practice for many years. Failure to archive this information puts organizations at risk of compliance violations, lawsuits, inability to produce data for audits or eDiscovery requests, and it prevents you from having oversight and management of mobile communication data.
Retain Mobile Archiving
Retain Mobile gives you oversight and archiving of mobile communication data! Retain mobile integrates with mobile carriers to capture text messages (SMS/MMS) directly from the mobile carrier’s network. Retain also integrates with TeleMessage and CellTrust, giving you the ability to have a dual-persona for BYOD. Employees can use the native phone and messaging capabilities of their phone, while using TeleMessage or CellTrust for business communication. Retain integrates with TeleMessage and CellTrust to provide you oversight and archiving of these messages.
This captured data is archived and indexed in Retain and is immediately available to access, search, and perform eDiscovery.
Learn more at the on-demand webinar "The Need for Mobile Device Archiving with Retain":
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.