Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

ESM running slow

Hi all

I will try to quick write down my problem, if  there are any questions I’ll try to answer. We are having real problems  with Oracle base, because is running slow. Last hour event takes about a  minute, last 2 hour takes 4, daily reports about 15 minutes,… ESM 4.5  SP2 is installed on HP DL 360 G6 server (quad core, 12 gb ram) with Red  Hat x64. When I look top in terminal it shows a small amount of memory  free, in graphical mode like task manager is showing completely  different statistic. Does anyone have any idea what should be problem  for slow running? Performances of server or Oracle? I aslo try to run  scripts SetDynamicSampling and GatherSystemStats but no improvements.  Are there any tips and trick that should be done when installing and how  to tune Oracle base?

Regards

Rok

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is this a fairly fresh install? A few months after ArcSight was installed here we started to run into a ton of different, seemingly unrelated issues. Turned out the wrong template was used and on a server with 16gb of ram it was configured to use 2. I would head down that path. I would also open a ticket with AS support if you haven't yet.

Of note - when you say the daily reports are taking a long time are they running against raw data or a trend? I would create a trend for those if you haven't already.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

you don't tell us anything about your DB server and storage system.

However, that's most probably where yor problems are.

-Till

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

It is fresh install, about 2 month old and there is about 3.000.000 events per hour, now when all connectors are up. I choose to use standard template. Where do you see how much of memory is used or how is configured as you mentioned? How did you fix the memory problem? Because this is only demo lab, ESM is using internal hard drive, SCSI disks – DB and Manager are installed on the same system.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

3000000 Event per hour? That is 830 EPS.

That's quite a lot for a demo system.

So then tell us:

- how many disks?

- what is the storage layout?

- what is your raid level?

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

There are 4 discs (300GB), one is for OS other 3 for DB. No raid is used because ain't enough space – already quite full base. I know that is not ideal and that DB should be running separate, but this is the only way it could be done financially. Is there any way to optimize this?

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

I doubt you will get enough performance from 3 disks for 830 EPS.

The simple reason why you have bad performance is probably your I/O troughput.

Monitor the I/O on the disks with OS tools and see how many I/O waits you have. I assume you will have a lot of I/O waits.

Most probably your OS is idle while your storage is the bottleneck.

-Till

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think Til hit the nail on the head.

At that EPS you're looking at around 10K IOPS with the other activity going on.  Without the advantages storage solutions bring to boost IOPS the non-RAID'd disks (that also don't have read optimization queues and write caches) don't have a chance at keeping up.

If this is a lab system, I'd suggest reducing your EPS rate to about 100 EPS and see if performance improves.

John

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.