Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

ESM running slow

Hi all

I will try to quick write down my problem, if there are any questions I’ll try to answer. We are having real problems with Oracle base, because is running slow. Last hour event takes about a minute, last 2 hour takes 4, daily reports about 15 minutes,… ESM 4.5 SP2 is installed on HP DL 360 G6 server (quad core, 12 gb ram) with Red Hat x64. When I look top in terminal it shows a small amount of memory free, in graphical mode like task manager is showing completely different statistic. Does anyone have any idea what should be problem for slow running? Performances of server or Oracle? I aslo try to run scripts SetDynamicSampling and GatherSystemStats but no improvements. Are there any tips and trick that should be done when installing and how to tune Oracle base?

Regards

Rok

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Rok:

Performance could be in one of several areas but more information is needed:

1.  What is sustained peak Events Per Second (EPS) encountered on the manager

2.  What is daily average of event rate on the manager?

3.  When you stated "ESM is installed on...." was that just the Manager, both the Manager and the Database Server, or are the Manager and DB running on the same server?

4.  What type of storage are you writing to?  (Size/Speed/RAID layout)

5.  How many simultaneous users are on the system during the slow periods?

John

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For Linux installs, you might find the following helpful:

https://protect724.arcsight.com/docs/DOC-1198

I'd look at other factors like storage layout, DB template used, manager installed on same server as DB, etc before modifying the Oracle database settings.  The ESM install guide has a lot of good tips on getting better performance from your system.

Good luck

-Joe

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Disclaimer: Im not a Oracle datbase administrator and know only general information about it based on our Environment and information provoded by our database Admin team.

I know in our environment when we initially had performance issues. The Database team  re-indexed the tables and this dramatically increased the performance. If you have never done this on your database, you may want to look into doing it. I can also say the first time this was done, I saw an improvement on performance of 10. IE: active channels would complete after 15 minutes before the re-index, only took 1.5 minutes. but it also requires a Looooooong time to re-index initially. I think it took us 12 hours or more if I rmember right.

Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.