Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Has anyone had any luck getting ArcSight Console 6.5 to run on OSX Yosemite?

I know HP hasn't updated ArcSight to support it but I've downgraded back down to Java 6 and I'm still unable to get it to run.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have the same problem.  Please post an update if you ever got it to work.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Console: (6.5.1.1845.0)

Same issue, I can install, then run through, logging in, setting up communication and starting console. Then the console crashes with a Java Error.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP Support told me "it's not supported".  I'm now trying to install ArcSight-6.1.0.1389.0-Console-Linux.bin onto my ArcSight server so that I can run it on my Macintosh via X-windows. Has anyone else attempted this?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

FYI, I was able to install it to my ArcSight Express server.  I installed it via the user "arcsight".  I did get a warning that I was installing it on an "unsupported" platform, but I had an option to continue anyway.  I continued.  It was installed successfully and I was able to run the Console via X-windows to my Mac Yosemite.

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Hi

I managed to install and successfully run the ArcSight 6.5 Console under Yosemite.

I had to install Java 6 for OS-X.

http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/03…

after that there was just a little problem where Arcsight was not allowed to import the ESM certificate.

I just had to give read/write permissions to the Folder /System/Library/Java via chmod -R.

Hope it will work for you as well.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Sven,

These steps still didn't work on my Mac OSX Yosemite v 10.10.3.  I installed the Java 6 OS- X update and still get the same error trying to launch the console.  I even ran the chmod -R command to the ../Java directory you mentioned and still no luck.  Any other ideas on this?  Been trying other options but not having any luck running from OS-X.  Thanks

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

I have the same problem, It will get over that CERT check/insert to java store. Then it will switch from "Logging in" to "Starting Console" and then it will crash with no output...

__
Solution Security Architect
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

So I finally got it to work and these are the steps I took:

(1) I installed JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg

(2) I installed the console software

(3) I changed the permissions on the system cacerts file:

-  I opened a Terminal window

-  I ran: sudo su -

-  I entered my password

-  Now that I was root I ran: cd /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/security

-  I changed the permissions on the cacerts file by running: chmod ugo+rw cacerts

This resolved the cacerts error and alowed me to import the certificate successfully.

(4) To resolve the second error I placed the renamed .ast file in the /current directory and started the console

The key to it working though was the .ast file being renamed after deleting it or adding a old .ast file.  Delete your .ast file from your user in /current (if one exists) and rename the attached .ast file with your user name and place it in /current.   This finally fixed my issue because apparently Mac OS was not creating a ".ast" file when I installed the console.  So you may have to add a file and rename it then it will work to create the new session.  Hope this works as it took me a while to get over all the gotchas.   

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I wasn't able to find any <loginID>.ast file, but tried to run ESM (6.0) doing steps 1-3.  I got the login prompt, typed in my creds, and about 5 seconds later got an error ... something about libawt.jnilib.

I was finally able to get it to work when I copied over a .ast file from a macbook running Lion.

Also, I found that you can copy the Java install directory to your home and change where Console/current/jre points to (change it to where you copied the java files) and run ESM this way.  This will allow you to uninstall Java from your machine.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Copying over previous .ast file worked for me. Thanks guys!

-Beau Galbraith

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Just adding to this thread - if anyone else has this issue...  here is a (certificate issue) SOLUTION!

Once installed using the above software download instructions (thanks - this worked for me), and executing the app on my MAC (running OSX 10.12.1 (Sierra)), it returns with a certificate not trusted.... despite having the (self-signed) cert in your keychain that you HAVE explicitly trusted!

The solution... get a copy of the "c:\arcsight\Console\current\jre\lib\security\cacerts" file from a functioning Windows box, and REPLACE the "/Library/Java/Home/lib/security/cacerts" symbolic link (which (for me) points to a non-existant file) on you MAC with it.

Other solutions - "sudo chmod 777 cacerts" - did not work for me, possibly because the symbolic links pointed to a non-existant file?!?

Good Luck!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.