New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Howto Automate Logger Searches?

Does anyone know how to script or somewhat automate Logger searches so that they continue after you logoff? I use the browser interface now but cannot start a long running search (more than 30 minutes) and log off for the day - and review the results later. Ideally, this would be similar to the Linux/Unix command "nohup <command_A> &" in which you can run "command_A", logoff, and have the command continue running until completion with results written to a file named "nohup.out" instead of the terminal/screen. You can then review the contents of nohup.out (output of "commnad_A") at a later time.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted

Assuming this is a normal activity (you have to do it) I can think of two solutions;

1) Administratively alter the default 900 seconds idle time logout value to something longer than you will be away, e.g. 86400seconds, and then rather than logout instead lock your desktop and pick up where you left off tomorrow (less than 86400 seconds later)

2) Review the related Blogs regarding the Logger API and develop your command line solution. Note: watch for members to begin blogging incremental example coding solutions for such things as they start working with the Logger API, in your case you may prefer the Perl Logger API demonstration code

Thank you,

Doug

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Could you use reports to achieve this? Perhaps a scheduled report or even just run the report in the background on an adhoc basis and come back and check the report dashboard when you next log in and take a look? Otherwise as already suggested, you could look at changing the timeout or explore what the API can do for you.

Cheers,

Ian.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

searches are ad-hoc.

What you want is a scheduled report.... or look into the API.

-Jared

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have found a "bug" that allows us to work around the same issue that you just mentioned. It is a little cloogy but it works.

When you get in for the day run a quick one minute search on what ever you want that will have at least one result. Run the search once it is finished, click Export results. Leave the pop-up window for exporting the results open and never close it and your session with logger will not time out.

I have had multiple hour sessions open by doing this. I know its not the best way to do it and we haven't had a chance to dig in to the API like others have suggested. We have been moving larger more intense searches/reports to Saved Searches and kick them off at night so we can review them in the morning so we don't have to maintain our sessions all night long.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would suggest using Logger's Scheuled Search option.  Go to Configuration/ Saved Search, from there you can create you search query, schedule the search, and retreive it later either local on the Logger or have it saved to share.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.