Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Monitoring Trend Sizes

Hi forum,

i am not sure, if this was discussed earlier. I am quite sure that it was, but i want to start a thread with concrete ideas and measueres to get this solved.

From my point of view, trends are one of the most important resources, as out in the field:

- ESM data retention is not set for reporting purpose, but more from a storage costs perspective

- ESM reporting is a standard requirement and (at least in my customer situations)

- Reporting intervals almost always exceed the event retention (monthly reports, quarterly reports vs. retentions of just a couple of weeks if even)

From that point, trends become very important as THE primary data source for reports and for reasons mentioned above, could hold a huge amount of data. So monitoring trend sizes has to be a mandatory task within ESM projects.

I had a support case open which I turn (hopefully) into a feature request, getting a trend monitoring feature into ESM console.

Until that comes with some future version of ESM, i like to collect good solutions and ideas on how you monitor trends...

A first idea of how we could get this solved is:

1. getting usage information for trends through sqlplus

2. formatting output to make it ready for being imported through a flex connector

3. collecting those flex events and running arcsight standard resources on them

First step would of course be, to get the actual sizes of your trends through running a sqlplus statement like this:

select  r.name, (blocks * 32768 / 1024 / 1024) AS storage_usage_in_MB
from user_tables u, arc_resource r, arc_trend t
where substr(u.table_name, 11,17) in
(select t.table_id from arc_trend) and r.id = t.id and r.resource_type=46 and r.inactive = '0' and blocks != '0'
order by blocks;

Is anyone out there, who went this idea one or more steps further?

Looking forward to where this topic leads...

Markus

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I feel the same about their import. Wrote the following which may or may not add to the discussion.

Wrapping your arms around Trends: 1, 2, 3

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.