Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Schedule Report Problems...

Is anyone having the same problems that I am with scheduled reports?    They are not running reliably...

I have about 20 Daily, Weekly, and Monthly scheduled reports.  Some reports are reporting from raw events, but most are just reporting from Trends and Active lists so they only take about 5 -10 seconds to run.

For example I have a report that runs on an active list at 7:45am on Fridays, this reports is usually about 500 entries in an active list and is done in about 7 seconds and I get the report emailed to me.  Then the next report runs at 8am 15 minutes after the 7:45am report and about every 4th report fails to email to the email recipients.  This 8am report is always smaller than the 7:45 report which runs successfully.  The 8am report is also using an active list with very similar query conditions.

I have also had many difficulties trying to setup a scheduled report.  It always seems to take about 2-4 tries to get a report to start running reliably even if I double and triple check the schedule parameters.

This leads me to my final question....  Does anyone have any developed content that can alert when a scheduled report fails to run?  I wanted to check before I start developing my own content for this.  I would also be interested in any content that alerts when reports run for more than a specified threshold i.e. Report running over an hour.

Thanks,
-Ben

Labels (4)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Ben,

Do you know the exactly error message that is put in the failed report event that is generated?

If you run the report manually does it get emailed to you correctly?

I have had many problems with the scheduler, it does not always work.

Vini

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi Ben,

I'd say you'll need to check the error logs for 8AM.

if its the report or the server log, you might find something in there.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Ilia,

I have not been successful in finding failure logs in the server log or any other logs.  I need to check this next time it happens.  I was hoping to find something in the logs which would help me out.

Thanks for your input.

-Ben

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The report just doesn't run, so I don't get an error in an email or in the archived report.  I also couldn't find any errors in the logs.

Everytime I run the report manually it works like a champ, it's just the scheduler that I have problems with.

Thanks for your comment.

-Ben

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have had problems like this as well.

Try duplicating the report, like copy and paste and give it a new name.

Then try to schedule the copy and see what happens.

It seems that sometimes the scheduler resource gets messed up and the only way to resolve it is scheduling a new report.

Let us know the outcome.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What version of ESM are you running?  I understand that the scheduler had known issues prior to maybe ver. 4 SP 1 Patch 3 or so.

And are you checking server.report.log, or some other log for evidence of your report running (or failing to)?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

"Everytime I run the report manually it works like a champ, it's just the scheduler that I have problems with."

Do you store the report somewhere?

I had issues with rights to some folders when running scheduled reports...

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Check KB Answer ID:1887 How to track reports that do not complete?

The Server.report.log is where the answers are.

All the best,

Asok

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.