Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

A counter with a negative value was detected in PC

Jump to solution
Hi,

There is an error occurring which is quite often during execution in Performance Center.

Error Details are:

Monitor name :Windows Resources. Cannot access data for measurement PhysicalDisk|% Disk Time|0 C: on machine XYZ.

Details: A counter with a negative value was detected. Hint: Check that there is such a measurement on the machine (use the Add Machine dialog box) (entry point: CNtMeasurement::GetNewData3). [MsgId: MMSG-47295]

Reasons and resolutions are appreciated.

Thanks
Ajay
0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Still happens in 12.56. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Mike,

The negative value of a Windows Resources monitor is a known issue by Microsoft and based on the fact you experience it seems it wasn't fixed in newer OS.

Below I am sharing a formal response from Microsoft support about it. It was quite long time ago but the exact same symptoms:

"According to short description of your request, I strongly assume that you are experiencing a known bug in our Server operating systems. The denominator value of Processor | % Processor Time can be negative in certain situations. This is caused by the operating system itself and can, at least to my knowledge, not been circumvented.

What happens is that the resulting denominator value for the performance counter is based on the timestamp from the time the answer came. As usual with time between two (physically) separate systems there is no exact same time possible. If the time on the client was corrected by the Windows32-Timer-Service to synchronize the time with the time on the server it could be that new responses for perfmon have a time which is older than the time of older responses. This is the cause for the negative denominator value and also the reason why the occurrence of this issue is reported as “sometimes”. If possible, I would suggest to disregard the return of a PDH-API-function if PDH_CALC_NEGATIVE_DENOMINATOR is returned and to try again. Currently, there is no known work-around for this issue listed in our systems."

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks, Eyal! 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.