Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

ALM_PC 11.50 interface

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently installed ALM-PC 11.50 in distributed server.

ServerA - ALM 11.50

ServerB- PC server

ServerC- PC host

Just a stupid question, in using Performance center, we are actuallu using ALM right?

But when I open http://alm:8080/qcbin  it still show ALM.

Is there an actual interface for PC alone?

-sdef

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: ALM_PC 11.50 interface

Jump to solution

PC is highly integrated with the ALM platform and client and for most people going to http://serverA:8080/qcbin and then selecting Performance Center will be the most likely course of action.

The first question is, when you go to the ...qcbin site do you see a link for Performance Center or Application LifeCycle Management?

What you see on this page is strictly a matter of what type of License was installed in the Site Administrator the three possibilities are:

• Quality Center = Quality Center license, no Performance Center capabilities
  • Performance Center = Performance Center license and some limited Quality Center capabilities
  • Application Lifecycle Management  = both Performance Center and Quality Center capabilities

Regardless of what you see on the qcbin page you will be launching the ALM Client software (downloading it if you are visiting the site for the first time since install or the latest patch release) and this is the primary focus for accomplishing all Performance Center and Quality Center tasks.

There is the My Performance Center site and this would be considered an actual Performance Center site.  When you are in the ALM client and you edit a load test or run a load test a separate window is opened and you are almost seamlessly connected to the My Performance Center site to complete the tasks.  If you want to connect to the My Performance Center site directly you can open a browser and go to http://ServerB/loadtest

The My Performance Center site is not a recreation of the old PC 9.x user interface.  The My Performance Center Site has a new interface that you will need to learn and get used to.

There are a couple of tasks (creating base level directories for Test plan and test set, creating the initial test set to store test results) that you can not perform on the My Performance Center site so you will not be able to completely abandon all ALM client use.  You can also not do any pure Quality Center tasks like Requirements or Defects from the My Performance Center site.  However, it is possible to give only a project admin access to the ALM client to perform those tasks that cannot be performed in the My Performance Center site and give the performance testers and external users (usually DBA's, Networking, and Management who are interested in monitoring a running load test) the address of the My Performance Center site only.

The biggest benefit of the My Performance Center site is that there is no ActiveX client software to download and install and you do not consume an ALM Client license when you login to the My Performance Center site.

Hope this helps you with what you are looking for.  The Performance Center manuals have detailed descriptions of the My Performance Center site and it capabilities and limitations.

Craig Drummond

HP Premier Support, Technical Account Manager - ALM Products

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

PC is hosted by ALM, so yes you are always using ALM in order to access PC through a QC client. When you open the ALM client you are welcomed by several links, the first link opens the PC client, it may show either Performance Center or Aplication Lifecycle Management, this depends on the type of license you used for activating, either way it access PC.

Regards,

Mario M.

HP LR/PC Support

If you are customer you can try posting on our internal forums for more personalized support.

LoadRunner:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/LoadRunner-Support-Customer/bd-p/loadrunner-support-customer-forum

Performance Center:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Performance-Center-Support/bd-p/performance-center-support-customer

How to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ChlysWupWM

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

PC is highly integrated with the ALM platform and client and for most people going to http://serverA:8080/qcbin and then selecting Performance Center will be the most likely course of action.

The first question is, when you go to the ...qcbin site do you see a link for Performance Center or Application LifeCycle Management?

What you see on this page is strictly a matter of what type of License was installed in the Site Administrator the three possibilities are:

• Performance Center = Performance Center license and some limited Quality Center capabilities
  • Application Lifecycle Management  = both Performance Center and Quality Center capabilities

Regardless of what you see on the qcbin page you will be launching the ALM Client software (downloading it if you are visiting the site for the first time since install or the latest patch release) and this is the primary focus for accomplishing all Performance Center and Quality Center tasks.

There is the My Performance Center site and this would be considered an actual Performance Center site.  When you are in the ALM client and you edit a load test or run a load test a separate window is opened and you are almost seamlessly connected to the My Performance Center site to complete the tasks.  If you want to connect to the My Performance Center site directly you can open a browser and go to http://ServerB/loadtest

The My Performance Center site is not a recreation of the old PC 9.x user interface.  The My Performance Center Site has a new interface that you will need to learn and get used to.

There are a couple of tasks (creating base level directories for Test plan and test set, creating the initial test set to store test results) that you can not perform on the My Performance Center site so you will not be able to completely abandon all ALM client use.  You can also not do any pure Quality Center tasks like Requirements or Defects from the My Performance Center site.  However, it is possible to give only a project admin access to the ALM client to perform those tasks that cannot be performed in the My Performance Center site and give the performance testers and external users (usually DBA's, Networking, and Management who are interested in monitoring a running load test) the address of the My Performance Center site only.

The biggest benefit of the My Performance Center site is that there is no ActiveX client software to download and install and you do not consume an ALM Client license when you login to the My Performance Center site.

Hope this helps you with what you are looking for.  The Performance Center manuals have detailed descriptions of the My Performance Center site and it capabilities and limitations.

Craig Drummond

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Guys,

Thanks for your replies, I have a better view on Performance Center now.

-sdef

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Follow up question.

Why is it that PC should have atleast 2 HOsts?

Is this required?

-sdef

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Sdef,

As with all "recommendations" you can chose to follow it or not. However, if you choose not to follow the recommendations there can be unintended and unwanted consequences.  Performance Center requires a minimum of one host but recommends more that one. Why?  

There are 3 possible roles of a Performance Center Host.  Controller, Generator, and Data Processor.  A full host can be one, two or all three of these rolls if you let it.  But there are some very good reasons why you should not do this and a lot of it depends on how large and intense your load testing is.

First lets discuss the role of Load Generator.  Because of the nature of the software.  When you run a load test you are consuming large amounts of RAM, CPU, Disk IO, and Network Bandwidth to simulate many users doing the tasks of your scripts.  

Then you have the controller.  The Controllers job is to collect data from the load generator(s) and present it to the Performance Center Server in a way that can be presented as updates to the user.  While this isn't necessarily a heavy CPU or Memory load it does require some CPU and Memory to run and Disk IO and Network IO will also be increased 

If you are trying to run a test of 50 or 60 users you can probably get away with one host being the controller and the generator.  But if you are running a test of 1000 users, you are going to overload the host and your results will be tainted.

Next you have the role of Data Processor.  Because Performance Center is designed to be used by many people, who could be physically in different parts of the world, the Data Processor is setup (one for each host pool) to handle offline analysis (analysis that is not done immediately after a load test is run), and trending reports.  If you have only one host, then you cannot do any of these Data Processor tasks when a load test is running.  Even when a load test is not running you will only be able to do one of these tasks at a time.  It is also possible that you could prevent a load test from running if a trending report is started when a Load Test is scheduled to start before the trending report is complete.

Finally, if you have only one host and you need to do maintenance, reboot, install a patch, or anything else that could affect the availability of the host, your ability to run any load tests would be impossible.  If you have any kind of hardware failure your entire performance testing environment could be down for days or weeks while you requisition a replacement.

Having multiple Hosts, each with dedicated roles allows you to manage your load testing environment without brining all of your load testers to a complete stand still.  This is also why multiple ALM and PCS servers are recommended, so one machine going down doesn't bring down the whole environment.

As a load tester your are a scientist.  It is your job to come up with a hypothesis and then set up experiments to either prove or disprove that hypothesis.  In the load testing world your hypothesis is something like: "I need to verify that with 1000 virtual users concurrently accessing system X, login times will be less than 5 seconds".  The experiments that you setup are the scripts, scenarios, and monitors that you will configure to run 1000 virtual users and collect the times it takes to login.  The hosts are the lab equipment that are used to conduct the experiment.  

As with any other discipline of science it is imperative that you ensure that your lab equipment does not interfere or alter the experiment results.  To help ensure this doesn't happen we "Recommend" that you have multiple hosts each having a separate and dedicated role (Controller, Generator, or Data Processor) so that one role doesn't impact any other role.

Hope this helps you understand this recommendation better

Craig Drummond

HP Premier Support - Technical Account Manager - ALM Products

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you very much, that was very useful 🙂

If you don't mind, i'll take this opportunity to asks questions about PC.

I'm actually new with Performance Center.

I have installed ALM 11.5, PC 11.5, and PC host. Also i have added the PC server and Host to the ALM lab management.

All their status are passed. Now i want to learn how to use it. I have background on ALM. Can you tell me the flow on using performance center. For example from requirements to test to planning the execution.. I have lab modules with me but the steps are confusing and that it is version 11.0 so the interface is different.

Another question. Do i have to install controller or load generator to the machine where i installed the PC host?

And what is the use of the 'lab extension', i can only see that when the lab extension is enabled there exist a performance module where you can add AUT host (is this the same as the host i installed?)

Thanks!

-sdef

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Sdef,

It sounds like you could really benefit from formal LoadRunner and Performance Center Training.  LoadRunner to learn the scripting and theory around performance testing and Performance Center to learn how to apply that theory using PC.

While  these forums are great for answering specific questions about a single feature or message that you are getting they are not really setup to present wholesale training of every aspect of the tools.

That being said and regarding the general flow of performance testing in general I would propose the following phases:

Requirements Gathering -

• What to test - What parts of your application will you script (and you will not be able to script all the functions of your application).  Target 10 - 15 scripts per application to start and grow that number over time.
  • Scaling - you must consider how close your test environment is to your production environment and scale your tests appropriately.  Failure to do this will cause your tests to fail and you will be unable to make understandable extrapolations of the data that you collect.
  • How many vusers will you use for each script
  • What are your success criteria - When at full load what are the timings that will be acceptable
  • What Data is required (consumable and reusable ) - consumable data is data that can only be used once during the test, reusable data can be used more than once
  • What it the length of tests that you will perform (generally one hour after full ramp up).  Remember that the time it takes to execute a load test is ramp up, execution and ramp down time.
  • What will you monitor
  • How will you present your findings

Scripting - record and code the scripts that you need using the protocols that your application being tested requires.  The specific steps are dependent on the protocols used and is far beyond the scope of these forums

Debugging - You need to verify that every script works for 1 user, 1 iteration and then you need to verify that every script works with multiple users and multiple iterations.  Then you need to verify that each of your scripts will run with multiple users and multiple iterations while the other scripts you have created are also running

Data Development - You need to have all the data that will be required to run the scripts that you want, for the total number of users that will run, for the length of time that you will run the test, for the number of tests that will actually be executed.  Don't underestimate the level of effort required to ensure that you have enough data.

Execution - There are many types of load tests that you may need to run and you will need to decide which tests are most applicable to you.  Below are some example types of tests that you may run:

• 10% of Max load
  • 25% of Max load
  • 50% of Max load
  • 100% of Max load
  • Stress Test - Running at 50% - 75% of Max load but for 24, 48, or even 96 hours
  • Overload test - Running tests above 100% of Max to discover at what % the systems do not respond within the requirements (This tells you how much you can grow before performance is unacceptable)

Analysis - After each test you need to analyze the results of the test and determine if each test was a success and if not, why.  Execution and Analysis are iterative and you may need to do the same test many times after configuration changes are made to your scripts, scenarios, the application that you are testing, or possible changes to the hardware, databases, and network infrastructure that you are using to run your tests.

Reporting - When you are done running all of the tests a comprehensive load testing report is usually required to document the findings of your testing for a non load testing audience (management most likely).  This report should discuss all of the phases above and provide details of all the test runs, and the findings and conclusions that are being made.

How do you take all of the above and execute it within the confines of the VuGen, Performance Center, & Analysis tools?  That is beyond the scope of this post and is what formal training would provide you.  Without the formal training I would suggest posting each question that you come up with in a new post and get the ideas and suggestions of the entire community

Hope this helps get you started.  Performance testing, specifically with the HP tools is a full time effort for the professional load tester and you can't assume that you will be able to know it all.  After 15 years of using the tools I learn new things about the software, protocols, and methodology of performance testing all the time.

Good Luck.

Craig Drummond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Thank you very for that informative post!

I can see that PC is like Load Runner running on an ALM platform.

I have background on ALM and Load runner. But im just not sure when will i enter the PC interface doing the steps of load testing.

Anyway, your post is very useful. Thank you very much.

-sdef

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

Craig you're the man.  Always a good informative post.  Sorry to resurrect this dead post but I have one question:

What is the limited QC capability when the top link shows 'Performance Center' as compared to if it showed 'Application Lifecycle Management'?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.