Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Caching options confusion

I want to know what is the closest way of simulating real user behavior as far as caching options are concerned.

Under RTS >> Browser Emulation:

1. If I select Simulate Browser Cache, it would enable the Vusers to emulate a browser with cache which is how it is in real time. Do we need to check for newer versions of stored pages?

What confuses me is the next option-

2. Simulate a new user each iteration - Enabling this option would clear the contexts, cookies & browser cache.

if this is so, then what does the sub-option "Clear cache on each iteration do"? How is it different than its parent option?

If I need to emulate cache, do I have to disable Simulate a new user each iteration? Or is it related to persistent & non-persistent caching?

Pls suggest the differences between the options.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Caching options confusion

To simulate browser cache I would check: Simulate browser cache, Cache URL's requirring ..., and Download non-HTML resources.

You could also check: Check for newer versions ..., but this adds overhead to your users.

I would de-select both boxes under Simulate a new user....

Go to the Help-->Documentation Library in VuGen to open the VuGen user manual. Search on "Browser Emulation Node" and select if from the list. This page describes in detail each option on the Browser Emulation tab in the run time settings.

One other thing. How the default browser your users use to access the application is configured should drive the selections you make for run time. I know that some secure installations do not allow caching between sessions so that cookies and the like are deleted when you close the browser.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Regarding your confusion on both the options (Parent and child): if you select both the options, then both do the same thing of clearing the emulated browser's cache on each iteration, besides selecting Parent option (simulate new user each iteration) also does other things of deleting all cookies, closing all TCP connections, clearing the user-names and passwords, resetting the HTML frame hierarchy etc.  

But if  you want to emulate information stored in the browser's cache only and not the other things mentioned above then select the Parent options but clear the check box of child (sub-option) option.

Thanks,

Krunal 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thank you for your replies Alan & Krunal.

I'm still abit unclear about the options. Here are 3 situations and I would like to know your opinion:

1. Simulate Browser Cache - Enabled

Simulate new user on each iteration - Enabled

Clear cahe on each iteration - Enabled

2. Simulate Browser Cache - Enabled

Simulate new user on each iteration - Disabled

Clear cahe on each iteration - Disabled

3. Simulate Browser Cache - Enabled

Simulate new user on each iteration - Enabled

Clear cahe on each iteration - Disabled

My thoughts on the options:

1. This option would emulate fresh users visiting the site. if this is so, then why do we need to select simulate browser cache?

2. This option would simulate browser cache but the same user always as we are no resetting the HTTP contexts nor clearing the cache.

3. This option would simulate browser cache, but clears only the contexts, cookies and session information. This would emulate users recently visited the site.

Please let me know your thoughts.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

1. Yes. You simulate a cache because that is what browsers have and do but a fresh user must start with nothing cached.

2. Yes.

3. Yes and no.

Your best bet is to find out for yourself, there's actually a big question over how LR does this and you might be surprised at what you find. So, to find out what is really going on then you need to get out a network sniffer spin up a dummy script and run a few tests.

Imagine someone asks you about these settings, maybe your boss, which of these responses sounds better:

1. "I posted in some forums and this is what I think might be going on:..."

2. "I decided to do my own investigations and this is what I have been able to prove is the case:..."

In particular, I adivse this in this case becasue you may well find that LR is not doing what you think (or I or anyone else thinks).

Oliver
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thanks Oliver.

Ofcourse I would be testing the oprions by running a couple of tests. But I thought of getting some good (if not clear) picture on it before. I know that caching options are client & application specific, but somehow our clients never specify anything about it. Therefore, I'm doing some analysis on these.

I'm just confused about the difference between Simulate a new user on each iteration & Clear cache on each iteration.

Simulate a new user on each iteration: does it affect only when Login is placed in Vuser_int()?

As per the help manual, "Instructs VuGen to reset all HTTP contexts between iterations to their states at the end of the init section".

If this is the case, then selecting this option or not should not make any difference if everything is placed in the Action() section.

Do you agree? If not then your point of view will be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Any ideas pls?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.