Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Correlate VIEWSTATE value

Hi,

I am scripting for an application that has huge strings for VIEWSTATE value. I've created a correlation rule and it works fine for smaller VIEWSTATE values, but for very lengthy values the correlation fails. I have to then manually set the web_set_max_html_param_len() function and correlate it. Is there someway to set this value to a higher number so that the correlation succeeds while recording only?

The correlation rule I've set (and works fine for smaller values) is:
Left Boundary: __VIEWSTATE" value="
Right Boundary: "

An example for a large VIEWSTATE value where this rule fails is:

<script type="text/jav
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Correlate VIEWSTATE value

Hi Kashyap,

By default the web_set_max_html_param_len() function is set while recording, but the value is exactly based on the VIEWSTATE value at the time of recording. To have this worked for any situation, we need to manually increase this value so that any binary size change of VIEWSTATE variable because of different string pattern can be captured by web_reg_save_param().

In some worse situations (highly secured environments) The viewstate size is around 2 MB...!!!

This is best understood when you work with multiple iterations. With the same value as captured in recording will fail in some interations & pass in some other interations based on exact size of VIEWSTATE variable.

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I believe the size limit for the auto correlation rule cannot be changed. It is known that large viewstate values will not be captured.

Maybe there's new information now but this is what I knew it to be.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

No Kashyap,

It is possible.

Just declare as follows.

web_set_max_html_param_len(1024)

web_set_max_html_param_len(9999)

Hope my statement make sense to you. If not let me know, I will explain or route you to the right documentation which explains in a better passion.. 🙂

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Raj. How do I set it before recording?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I am wondering what makes the difference whether it is before recording or after recording?

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've the correlation rule set up and so if this can be set before starting to record the rule can get implemented and correlation done.
If I've to do it after recording, how do I do it? Currently I go to each and every line of code and set the correlation for Viewstate myself. The code is huge and taking a chunk of the time plus it is error prone. So am looking at some way to get the correlation done automatically.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

As I've stated, there is a size limitation but it was not detailed in the HP KB what the actual size limitation is. It says just some large VIEWSTATE will not be automatically correlated.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Ok,

I understand now. But there is no such option. It is one such reason we have the concept of manual correlation apart from automatic correlation.

-Raj

Regards,
Raj

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Seems like this needs to be manually only.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.