Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Diagnostics mediator server

Jump to solution
Hi Experts,

we have installed diagnostics(commender & mediator) on same server. with 80 number of probes

Now problem is that we need more mediator server..Customer have provided one more mediator

To divide the load is there any specific precautions need to be taken for new mediator server.

or just we need to install the new mediator setup
Please suggest
Cheers!

Nvr Blame a day in ur life....... Good day gives "happiness" & Bad day gives "experience" ......
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Diagnostics mediator server

Jump to solution
The setting that controls where the probe connects to is either in the dispatcher.properties file in the probes installation directory, or on the JVM command line.

in dispatcher.properties its:

# The URL of the server
# Commander in single server environment or distributed server in multi-server environment
# (This property can be dynamically changed)
registrar.url=http://Mediator:2006/registrar/

On the commandline its:

-Ddispatcher.registrar.url=http://Mediator:2006/commander/registrar/

Pros / COns.
Moving any probe from one server to another will break the continuity of the historical data stored in HP diagnostics. If you move the probes when you look at the historical data you will see two probes not one.

Moving probes also negates the automatic trend calculations that diags does and any thresholds and alerts for that probe will be lost.

That is why I would recommend that you add a system that would be a dedicated Commander and 'downgrade' the existing server to a mediator so you would not have to move the probes to a different server.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
Just install the mediator
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
True..but how will i divide the existing load pointing to new mediator server
Cheers!

Nvr Blame a day in ur life....... Good day gives "happiness" & Bad day gives "experience" ......
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Before you move any probes from one mediator to another keep in mind, that doing that will break the connection to all of the historical data currently in diags for those probe.

Probes within Diags are uniquely identified by their ProbeName and also the Mediator they are assigned to. The same probename on a different mediator is defined as a different probe to HP Diags.

When you move a probe from one mediator to another and then access the historical data via the UI, you will see two different probes show up. The data from one will stop at the time the probe was moved and the other probe's data will start at that time. (you will also loose any threshold and alerts rules previously assigned because again Diags see this as a new probe)

I personally don't like to run the commander Server as a combined mediator - commander. If I were in this situation I would add a totally new server as the commander only, then configure both of the existing servers to access the new system as commander. You are in effect 'down grading' your current combined commander - mediator to just a mediator.

You won't loose track of any historical probe data that way and the offload of Commander functionality will give that mediator a little breathing room. I would also start assigning all new probes to your second mediator.

That configuration will set your environment up right for future growth.

Upgrade all of the servers to HP Diags version 8.05, there are a number of performance fixes in that release.

If you are not already running all of your Diags servers on a 64 bit OS and the Sun 64 bit jvm, its time to upgrade that as well.
(Diags 9 ships separate 32 bit and 64 installs that include the proper JVM in the install..) And your existing probes 7.5 or 8.x can work with Diags 9 servers just fine.
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
Modify the dispatcher.properties and mediator.properties files

In order to point the Probe and Mediator to a new Commander, follow the steps below:
1. Stop the Commander, Mediator, and Probe.
2. Go to \etc and open the dispatcher.properties file in a text editor.
3. Change the registrar.url to point to the new host name or IP address of the Commander, and save the file.
4. Go to \etc and open mediator.properties in a text editor.
5. Change the commander.url to point to the new host name or IP address of the Commander, and save the file.
6. Start up the Commander, Probe, and Mediator.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi experts,

i am littlebit confused from the above response.

Previously we have installed diagnostics server in commnder mode and all the java and .net probe were pointing to that server.

Now due to heavy load we introduce new mediator server..now my question how i assigned old java and .net probe which are overloaded poining to the new mediator server ?

Is that any specific setting that we need to do on Commander GUI interface

or we need to uninstall our java & .net probe and pointing to new mediator server.

Also i would like to know pros and cons for the above if procedure works

diagnostics version : 8.04
Thanks in advance

Cheers
Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
The setting that controls where the probe connects to is either in the dispatcher.properties file in the probes installation directory, or on the JVM command line.

in dispatcher.properties its:

# The URL of the server
# Commander in single server environment or distributed server in multi-server environment
# (This property can be dynamically changed)
registrar.url=http://Mediator:2006/registrar/

On the commandline its:

-Ddispatcher.registrar.url=http://Mediator:2006/commander/registrar/

Pros / COns.
Moving any probe from one server to another will break the continuity of the historical data stored in HP diagnostics. If you move the probes when you look at the historical data you will see two probes not one.

Moving probes also negates the automatic trend calculations that diags does and any thresholds and alerts for that probe will be lost.

That is why I would recommend that you add a system that would be a dedicated Commander and 'downgrade' the existing server to a mediator so you would not have to move the probes to a different server.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
gr8..so how would i assigned the existing server(the one which we are using previously)to only mediator server

and is it ok if i uninstall the new setup and again install new commandar

is there any impact/license on the same

Thanks
Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
>>gr8..so how would i assigned the existing server(the one which we are using previously)to only mediator server

Each HP Diagnostics server actually starts up as a mediator, during the start up process it uses the value:

commander.url=http://localhost:2006

in the server.properties file to locate and connect to the commander.. IF the process during startup discovers that the link to the commander points to itself, it assumes the roll of the commander.

So changing the entry in your current commander-mediator will cause it during start up to connect to the remote system running as 'the commander' and the current system will come up and run as a mediator.

(And it turns out that the HP Diags code is smarter than just looking for a value of localhost here.. We goofed one time and set the commander.url value on our commander to the DNS alias for the commander and during start up it logged the Normal message:
"INFO mediator : Diagnostics server starting up in Commanding Server mode." and ran as "The Commander" just fine.. Once we discovered the error we fixed it, but none the worse for the error.

>>and is it ok if i uninstall the new setup and again install new commander

uninstalling the HP Diagnostics server application is necessary when you upgrade to newer versions or releases. AND, the uninstall DOES NOT remove or alter the mediator data store in anyway.. Which is good, because during an upgrade you you MUST do an uninstall, then the new install, update the configuration with your previous customizations and restart the JVM and all is well.. Data is still on the server, etc.

Is it absolutely necessary to uninstall and reinstall to switch the roll from Commander to Mediator or visa versa, NO. But its a nice sanity check.

>>is there any impact/license on the same

The License key files for HP Diagnostics are tied to the MAC address of the server it is assigned to. Moving the commander will result in a MAC address change, so yes you will want to use the WebWare website to have your license file moved to a new MAC address.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
really appreciate

one more doubt so in the server.properties of my existing server which are pointing to .net and java probe we just need to give new server commander ip and restart the services

ie commander.url=http://new mediator ip:2006

and no other changes required.pls re-confirm

because when i raised support case with hp they suggesed to introduce new mediator

Pls comments

Thanks

Cheers
Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
>>one more doubt so in the server.properties of my existing server which are pointing to .net and java probe we just need to give new server commander ip and restart the services

>>ie commander.url=http://new mediator ip:2006

>>and no other changes required.pls re-confirm

Make sure the process - JVM is down before you make the changes and that your new 'Commander' is up and running and licensed then make the changes and restart.

>>because when i raised support case with hp they suggesed to introduce new mediator

What I am proposing is non-standard, yes.. But i have done this and been down a similar path more than once.. there are other ways of doing this that support would consider more 'orthodox', like using the HP supplied remote backup script to move all of the mediator data to a new machine, etc. This is the one alternative that preserves the historical links in your data.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
small mistake

in the existing commander(mediator as cpmmander) connecting to java & .net probe

we need to give
commander.url=http://new mediator ip:2006

Thanks
Cheers!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.