Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Diagnostics with Apache Tomcat

Jump to solution
Hello,

we have a customer that wants to test Diagnostics in a application server apache tomcat, i installed the java probe in the host of application server and i change startup script
this tomcat has modifications for a application called blackboard the file that i chage is called BB-config when i start the application server the Health view did not show the agent but when i stop the the application server the health view show the agent in green color for a few minutes, i think that exist a good communicaton between the agent and server, but i don´t now if i modified properly the startup script or if the modification should be done in another file

does anyone have any idea?

appreciate the help

regards
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Diagnostics with Apache Tomcat

Jump to solution
Nothing seems to be weird in the logs. Try running the JRE Instrumentor again and see how it goes. Make sure to run it on the JVM used by your app server.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Did you try accessing the profiler at http://localhost:35000/ ??

Send me the tomcat startup file.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hello madthrt,

yes i tried to conect at http://localhost:35000/ but i didn't see anything, when
start the application server the log file shows the message:

2009-12-02 16:52:00,171 INFO [class
com.mercury.diagnostics.common.util.VmwareDetector]: Could not read VMware
detection executable
(/export/home/bbuser/agent/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/lib/../bin/sparc-
sunos/detectvmw). There may not be support for running in VMware on this platform.

I attached the startup Script

thank you very much for your help

Regards.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
what do you mean by "didnt see anything" ? when you access profiler.

Try the following in startup file.
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -javaagent:/export/home/bbuser/agent/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/lib/probeagent.jar"

Few things to take care of

- Make sure to run the JREInstrumentor on the JVM used by your application server.

Diagnostics on VMWare is supported. There is a utility in the Diagnostics installation to find out whether it is running on VMWare or not. From the error, it looks like it is not able to find it. Make sure you installed it correctly with correct user permissions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
hi madthrt,

i modified the startup file with the next line:
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -
javaagent:/export/home/bbuser/agent/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/lib/probeagent.jar"

but is the same result when i start the application server, the agent don´t start,
is like if I had not added the line. when i try to connect at 35000 port the
browser show me the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", the probe is not running, but when i stop the application server i can see the probe in green color in the health view for a few seconds.

i attached the probe log.

Thank very much for your help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Nothing seems to be weird in the logs. Try running the JRE Instrumentor again and see how it goes. Make sure to run it on the JVM used by your app server.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
The problem was the permissions, the Diagnostics folders had to have black board user permissions and not root permissions
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
The problem was the permissions, the Diagnostics folders had to have black board user permissions and not root permissions
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.