Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

HP ALM Lab Management: Host did not pass authentication

Hi,

Since a few days I'm facing an error for my testing host in HP ALM in the event log:

"Host 'myhostname' became not available and not registered. Reason: host did not pass authentication."

The host ist indeed not available and not registered. 

I can log in to the host itself (that indicates, the used username and password for autologin are still working) and click on the "register host" button in Lab Services. By doing so the host becomes available in HP ALM and the Check Host operation succeeds. A couple of minutes later I see the error message again and the host becomes not registered.

The trouble shooting guide is not referring to this specific error message.

Any idea to solve that issue is highly appreciated.

best regards,

Beate

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: HP ALM Lab Management: Host did not pass authentication

Hi Beate,

What is the version of Performance Center?

Does the issue happen with all Hosts or a specific Host?

If specific Host, please try to run Host Configuration tool on Host machine and remove then add this Host again to PC Lab Management.

Regards,

Chau Nguyen | SW Technical Support Consultant.
LoadRunner and Performance Center

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Chau,

thanks for your quick response. I'm not using Performance Center but HP ALM Lab Management (version 12.01). I was told, you guys are responsible for that in the HP ALM Forum. 

As I only have one testing host, I can't tell if this would happen to other hosts as well. We are still in the phase of evaluating the feature.

I couldn't find a Host Configuration tool... I guess this exists only for performance center?

I removed, added and registered the host again as suggested in the Lab Management module. Since this action it remains registered and available. Keep your fingers crossed - maybe that did the trick.

best regards,

Beate

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Chau,

unfortunately the host did become unregistered again. Any further ideas how to fix this behaviour?

Thanks and best regards,

Beate

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Beate,

Are you adding the HOST with IP or the Host Name?

can you try in either ways of adding & can you perform the Host entry of that particular host in that machine you are using.

& make the Host Entry for this in the Host in the below location:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file

& add the HOST after tha above please.

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

If everything seems to be a failure, after adding the HOST again, Kindly restart the Service & check now.

Can you do some deductions from Logs too?

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Damus,

thanks for your input!

I am adding the host with the host name. IP is not working because the hostname is specified in the Lab Services. If I add the IP in HP ALM Lab Management and try to register an error message says that the host is not available in Lab Management. 

I could change the name of the host in Lab Services, but I do believe that is not the successfull way. The hostname was working great for a few weeks. 

I also tried to add the host name in the hosts file, but I don't have the access rights to change the file on my client machine.  Also: I don't understand how this could affect the remote exceution? Adding the host might be done from several clients. Should the hosts file be changed on the ALM Server machine? 

I added the host again, registered and restarted the lab service. After half an hour the host became unregistered again. Interesting fact: in between I checked the host in Lab Management and there were a few successfull pollings.

The logs don't say much. This error message is the only thing I could find:

Host 'myhostname' became not available and not registered. Reason: host did not pass authentication.

Interesting fact: the history shows that the user that changed the status is "_pc_system_". That is not even a HP ALM User.

I checked the following logs: SA folder (debug), QC folder (debug), Lab Service logs (verbose).

Do you have any further ideas?

many thanks and best regards,

Beate

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi,

another interesting fact: The host becomes unregistered exactly every hour: 9:41, 10:41, 11:41

Is there a job running, that I could check out?

best regards,

Beate

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.