Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

HP PC HOST 11.50 Controller

Jump to solution

Hi,

I designated a machine as a host for HP PC 11.50. I assigned it as a controller.

Do i have to install a controller component for that machine or i just need to install the HP PC host to it?

Thank you!

-sdeff

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Sdef,

The physical software that you need to install is just the Host software and the appropriate Host patch to match the patch level of your Performance Center server.

Once the software is installed you can add the host in Lab Management and during that process (or at a later date by editing the Hosts properties) you can select the role or roles that you want that Host to play.  Controller, Generator, or Data Processor are the options that you have.  

What role the machine plays is entirely up to you.  Just remember that it is not recommended for a load test to use the same Host for the Controller and Load Generator but that doesn't mean that the host can not be a controller for one test and a load generator for a different test.

I would also strongly recommend that you use dedicted data processors, one for each host pool because of you combine the data processor with the controller or the data processor, if one person is running a load test that is using that host, no one will be able to do post run collation, analysis, or trending  while the data processor host is being used as either a controller or generator.

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Install Host

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Sdef,

The physical software that you need to install is just the Host software and the appropriate Host patch to match the patch level of your Performance Center server.

Once the software is installed you can add the host in Lab Management and during that process (or at a later date by editing the Hosts properties) you can select the role or roles that you want that Host to play.  Controller, Generator, or Data Processor are the options that you have.  

What role the machine plays is entirely up to you.  Just remember that it is not recommended for a load test to use the same Host for the Controller and Load Generator but that doesn't mean that the host can not be a controller for one test and a load generator for a different test.

I would also strongly recommend that you use dedicted data processors, one for each host pool because of you combine the data processor with the controller or the data processor, if one person is running a load test that is using that host, no one will be able to do post run collation, analysis, or trending  while the data processor host is being used as either a controller or generator.

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

Thanks for your answers..

Followup question..

In perforamnce Center where i edit a test.. it will go to the workload page.. where i can designate the number of vusers to run and the manner of their execution.. I can see that this is similar to a controller UI. What will happen if i save the scenario in the workload page? can i then assign a host to run the scenario i created here?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

On the workload tab when editing your load test you can select the controller that will be used for this test, you can also select generators and assign them to each individual group just like you could do in LoadRunner.

When selecting resources Performance Center allows you two choices, you can let PC pick an available controller and\or generators from the list of currently available resources in the pool the project is assigned when the test starts, or you can choose specific resources to use.  Just remember that if you choose specific resources and those resources are unavailable when you try to start your test you will get an error and your test will not run.  This is especially important for scheduled auto start tests for that scenario because they will also fail to run until you edit the scenario and pick  resources that are available.

I would suggest that you review the HP ALM Performance Center User and Administrator Guide for PC 11.5, page 90 - 105 for details on the Performance test Workloads User Interface.

Craig

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

It is actually happening now, after saving the scenario in workload and clicking the  run test, it gives an error

"cannot find PC server"

please advise me regarding this.

Thank You!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.