Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Has anyone done an upgrade on the ALM/Performance Center Lab_Project schema

Jump to solution

Has anyone done an upgrade on the ALM/Performance Center Lab_Project schema?  I'm upgrading ALM 12.53 to ALM 12.60 Patch 2 for Performance Center 12.62 and am now in the process of upgrading/migrating the old Lab_Project schema.  The directions in the manual are not totally clear as to process for the upgrade/migration for an existing Lab_Project schema.

Anyone have clearer / better defined steps to this process?  Thanks.

I posted this over in the ALM community as well.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Has anyone done an upgrade on the ALM/Performance Center Lab_Project schema

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Please use the old repository folder and restore the LAB_PROJECT from its DBID.XML, so the 12.53 LAB_PROJECT will be restored. Verify , repair upgrade and activate the lab project and after that  do the same for each project. The repository is not so relevant for LAB_PORJECT as usually it contains only the default  folders (no attachments and other files beside uploaded old patches within LAB_PROJECT repository) so it needs to be within the folder but actually has no extra content and upgrade does not touch it. 

Aliza

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello  Jim, 

In order to provide the steps , please let me know the answers for:

1. Have you installed ALM 12.60 PATCH02 using the upgrade a copy of Site admin schema?

2. When expanding the LAB_PROJECT within the SiteAdmin LAB Management tab , do you see your previous (12.53) LAB_PROJECT or a new empty LAB_PROJECT ? (expand the table and check for the version within DATACONST table - what do you get there for all the %version% fields?)

In general upgrade of LAB_PROJECT should be the first to be done after new version installation and before upgrading all other projects. 

Please make sure you have a backup of the LAB_PROJECT DB schema before you start the upgrade. 

I'll provide my next steps based on the answers above

Aliza

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Aliza,

I have installed the ALM 12.60 Patch02 already to the ALM server.  I see a new LAB_PROJECT which is empty (no Hosts, Locations, Runs, etc.) except for the Users (all Lab Manager users came over).

The new LAB_PROJECT schema (DEFAULT_LAB_PROJECT_DB0) on Oracle in the DATACONST table shows the version as 12.60 and PC_PATCH_VERSION as 12.50

I have not upgraded any of the other Project schema's yet.  I know I need to get the LAB_PROJECT first.  All the schemas (project, qcsiteadmin, LAB_PROJECT) were backed up before I started the whole process.

Jim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Based on your input , please remove the LAB_PROJECT from site admin UI (LAB Management), take the path for its file repository folder before the remove. after removal, use the DBID.XML either from the original folder (in case all other details like DBServer_NAME, DB_CONNSTR_FORMAT,DBSERVER_NAME,DB_USER_PASS,PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY and the DB _NAME has the original LAB_PROJECT DB schema name (most probably default_lab_project_db). Make sure the PROJECT_UID has the original PROJECT_UID. 

Restore the LAB_PROJECT using the above DBID.XML and expand the tables to check it contains the hosts (LAB_HOSTS), PROJECTS (lab_project_properties) as expected. 

Now , use the verify , repair , upgrade and activate the lab_project and validate that DATACONST table contains the *version* of 12.60.

Aliza

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Aliza,

Basically you are saying do a full restore/upgrade of the v12.53 LAB_PROJECT schema from what I'm reading.  Just like I did before when I migrated/upgraded to 12.53.  I migrated from an older version of both Oracle and Performance Center/ALM.

You didn't finish your thought regarding which DBID.XML file to use and which file repository to use (either that or I'm just being dense).  Meaning I have two file repository folders under qc\Default; LAB_PROJECT (old, created by ALM 12.53) & LAB_PROJECT0 (new, created by install of ALM 12.60).

I understand dropping the new lab project schema default_lab_project_db0 and restoring/reconnecting the old schema of default_lab_project_db. 

So, my question is do I just ignore the LAB_PROJECT0 folder and its DBID.XML file and point to the old LAB_PROJECT folder and its DBID.XML file during the Restore process in Site Admin?  Or should I point to the new folder structure with a copy of the DBID.XML from the old structure (modified to point to the new repository folder path, and everything else the same)?

I've already backed up both the original schema and folder structure, so I should be okay in case something screws up.

Jim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Regarding: which DBID.XML file to use and which file repository to use, ( Meaning I have two file repository folders under qc\Default; LAB_PROJECT (old, created by ALM 12.53) & LAB_PROJECT0 (new, created by install of ALM 12.60).

My answer: as you  are about to restore the original 12.53 LAB_PROJECT (the new one created in 12.60 is an empty one), please take the original DBID.xml from LAB_PROJECT folder. Since I don't have the info if you are using the same DB server as used for 12.53 , please make sure that this dbid .xml references to the DB server name , DB connection string , DBName are O.K.

Aliza

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Aliza,

Yes, I am using the same DB server (Oracle 12c instance), schema's are in the same database on the server.  Therefore the information related to DB Server Name, Connection String, and DBName are the same as before. 

This is an in-line upgrade (same DB Server, same version of Oracle, same database instance in Oracle) and not a migration from another Oracle instance or version.  I did that before on the previous upgrade/migration from PC 12.20 to PC 12.53.  Sorry if I did not make that fully apparent before. 

This whole project I'm working on is an in-line upgrade only; the database environment stays the same, the ALM server(s) are the same, the PC server(s) are the same, the PC Hosts (Controllers & Load Generators) are the same.

The only thing that is still not clear to me is this.  In the DBID.xml file should I point to the new File Repository path/structure or the old one?  When I select the File Repository location and DBID.xml file as part of the restore do I point at the old path/file or the new one (with a copied/modified xml file).  I assume it would be the old repository path/file and let it upgrade it along with the schema.  I just ignore the new LAB_PROJECT schema and folder.

Jim

Jim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Please use the old repository folder and restore the LAB_PROJECT from its DBID.XML, so the 12.53 LAB_PROJECT will be restored. Verify , repair upgrade and activate the lab project and after that  do the same for each project. The repository is not so relevant for LAB_PORJECT as usually it contains only the default  folders (no attachments and other files beside uploaded old patches within LAB_PROJECT repository) so it needs to be within the folder but actually has no extra content and upgrade does not touch it. 

Aliza

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Aliza,

Yep, that did it.  Thanks for your help and information.  Now I get to do the Prod level PC system next month.  This was only a Test environment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Good Luck

Aliza

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.