Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Help Understand the areas where we can automate tasks related to Performance Center

Jump to solution

Hi All,

In our organization; we are conducting performance testing  on various applications ( Standalone  / WEB based ) using HP performance center application.

We are supporting the ADMIN related activities such as below.

1. Creation of Projects in the ALM Site Administration.
  2. Granting the Testers with necessary access in the specific projects to perform load testing.
  3. Fixing the issues faced by the user in the Performance Center application ( Web GUI ).
  4. Fixing the installation issues ( VuGen / Performance Center ) on the Users machines.
  5. Configuring the Load Generators for SAP/other standalone application testing.
  6. Fixing issues on the Load Generators/Controllers/Site Scope/Application servers that occur during and after the Load Test.
  7. Installation & Fixing Shunra Issues on the Load Generators.
  8. Fixing Integration Issues between Shunra & Performance Center with help from Shunra & Vendor.
  9. Configuring and monitoring the projects / Infrastructure servers in the Lab Management module.
  10. Fixing the License issues by purchasing the required Licenses from Vendor and Shunra as required( needed ) by the testing.
  11. Monitoring Utilization of Memory Resources over the Load Generators and other servers during the test execution.
  12. Configuration and addition of New Load Generators/Controllers into the Infrastructure.
  13. Deletion of Users from Site Admin whenever requested.
  14. Performing AUDIT related tasks on project tables for explaining any mystery issues.
  15. Switching the Service on Load Generators to process based on the application we are testing.

I wanted to know any innovative ideas and understand the areas where we can automate such tasks in performance center in both support / development perspective.

I will discuss the proposed items with the developers and will understand the feasibility for their implementation .

Did anyone tried  automate any such tasks which helped to reduce the support effort and increase the system stability?

Please share your valuable thoughts from your experience and learning’s.

Regards,

Srihari

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Help Understand the areas where we can automate tasks related to Performance Center

Jump to solution

While it may be true that there is not a lot of automation available it should not be said that automation is not possible at all.

The first thing that you need to do is break down the tasks into the appropriate groupings of functionality. As I see it you have four main categories of tasks:

1) ALM Functionality

2) PC Project Functionality

3) Lab Management Functionality

4) External functionality

For ALM and some Lab Management functionality you have the Open Test Architecture (OTA) and REST API's that you can use to code you own methods, including use in a cscript, wscript, JavaScript, or even QTP script.  There is extensive documentation with lots of code samples available on the HP Software Support Site.  

For PC project functionality, including anything that is accomplished on the My Performance Center site, the API and REST API's are not really designed to handle that functionality so you would need to do things manually or work on some other form of automation

For External functionality there are a slew of tools available to handle the day to day maintenance of PC. From automated tasks scheduled at the OS level that clear old files or defrag a disk, to batch files or any numerous other offerings to keep your lab in top shape.  This will just be a matter of finding the tools that work the way you prefer.

The key thing to remember is the OTA and REST API's and any code that you develop with the API's is not supported by the HP Support team.  If you do find that you need help you can find some assistance here on the forums from other users or you can contract PSO to assist you on a time and materials basis

I have reviewed your list and categorized them in where I believe you could find some form of tool or automation that could make things easier to maintain.

1 - OTA\REST

2 - OTA\REST

3 - To general - Need more specifics (you could set up a remote process that would kill the ALM client software and force them to download it again as one of the primary debugging steps for ALM client issues is to remove the client and re-download

4 - Look for SMS tools that can push and also remove software packages from remote systems

5  - Look for PC imaging software (i.e. Ghost) that would allow you to configure a system once, create an image of that machine and then replicate that machine with just a few clicks.  While it is not recommended, many of the virutalization platfoms allow you to clone images to create new virtual machines much faster than installing, updating and configuring a new system.

6 - Need more specifics.  I am not aware of any tool that can resolve issues with all of the listed software automatically.

7 - No known tools to assist with Shunra

8 - See #7

9 - Are you referring to building out the AUT functionality?  If so there may be some OTA\REST capabilities but I am not aware of any monitoring in Lab Management.  If you are looking for alerts or emails to go to a distribution list when a host become unavailable you may be able to accomplish this with WorkFlow.

10 - The best thing here may be a Enterprise License Agreement.  Contact HP Sales for more information.  And ELA allows you to estimate your level of usage for the next 18 moths to 2 years, pay a fee for that estimated usage and then "true up" 18 - 24 months later based on actual licenses used.

11 - Host monitoring is already automatically done when you start a load test in PC 11 or 11.5.  Monitor profiles and SiteScope are required for any additional monitoring and I am not aware of any way to make that automatic

12 - There may be some OTA\REST functionality that would allow you to automatically add hosts based on some criteria that you provided. If not you could possibly create automated scripts with QTP\UFT or some other automated test tool.  Since this is done only when new hosts or LG's are added to the test environment I feel that any effort to automate this would be wasted.  True you have a one time initial effort to get your hosts defined but after than you would add hosts only occasionally.  Logging in to Lab Management and clicking Add, then entering the computer name and configuration details doesn't seem like that should take very long.

13 - OTA\REST.  Remember that deleting users from Site Admin does not remove them from the Project Database but it does remove their access to the project.  Also deleting users from the Project Database is not recommended because it will cause many types of data to loose data that may be required next time someone edits that object.

14  - This would need to be SQL that you write to validate the tables.  You would need to rely on the automation capabilities of the SQL tool for this.

15 -  You can set up batch jobs that could be executed remotely to change a host from Process to Service and vice-versa.

I worked for a company several years ago where they wanted all 8000 people that were in their LDAP tree to be listed in QC automatically.  When new users were added to LDAP, the next night, they were automatically put into QC.  They had no rights or permissions. But when the Site Admin logged in and there was a request to add employee xx to project yy, the site admin only had to search for employee xx's name and add that project yy to their profile.  If the new user was to be an admin for that project there was one extra step.  The extract from LDAP, sorting out new users and importing them into QC Site admin  was accomplished with a cscript, some VB Script, some OTA calls, and a MS Windows job that kicked off the batch file at 12:30am each day.

The code for this was the property of the company that I worked for so unfortunately I no longer have access to it but it is an example of the type of automation you may be able to setup for your environement.

I hope this helps you

Craig Drummond

HP Software Premier Support - Technical Account Manger

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Help Understand the areas where we can automate tasks related to Performance Center

Jump to solution

Haven't really met with anyone trying to automate these tasks nor do we have options in order to get them automated.

Regards,

Mario M.

HP LR/PC Support

If you are customer you can try posting on our internal forums for more personalized support.

LoadRunner:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/LoadRunner-Support-Customer/bd-p/loadrunner-support-customer-forum

Performance Center:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Performance-Center-Support/bd-p/performance-center-support-customer

How to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ChlysWupWM

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

While it may be true that there is not a lot of automation available it should not be said that automation is not possible at all.

The first thing that you need to do is break down the tasks into the appropriate groupings of functionality. As I see it you have four main categories of tasks:

1) ALM Functionality

2) PC Project Functionality

3) Lab Management Functionality

4) External functionality

For ALM and some Lab Management functionality you have the Open Test Architecture (OTA) and REST API's that you can use to code you own methods, including use in a cscript, wscript, JavaScript, or even QTP script.  There is extensive documentation with lots of code samples available on the HP Software Support Site.  

For PC project functionality, including anything that is accomplished on the My Performance Center site, the API and REST API's are not really designed to handle that functionality so you would need to do things manually or work on some other form of automation

For External functionality there are a slew of tools available to handle the day to day maintenance of PC. From automated tasks scheduled at the OS level that clear old files or defrag a disk, to batch files or any numerous other offerings to keep your lab in top shape.  This will just be a matter of finding the tools that work the way you prefer.

The key thing to remember is the OTA and REST API's and any code that you develop with the API's is not supported by the HP Support team.  If you do find that you need help you can find some assistance here on the forums from other users or you can contract PSO to assist you on a time and materials basis

I have reviewed your list and categorized them in where I believe you could find some form of tool or automation that could make things easier to maintain.

1 - OTA\REST

2 - OTA\REST

3 - To general - Need more specifics (you could set up a remote process that would kill the ALM client software and force them to download it again as one of the primary debugging steps for ALM client issues is to remove the client and re-download

4 - Look for SMS tools that can push and also remove software packages from remote systems

5  - Look for PC imaging software (i.e. Ghost) that would allow you to configure a system once, create an image of that machine and then replicate that machine with just a few clicks.  While it is not recommended, many of the virutalization platfoms allow you to clone images to create new virtual machines much faster than installing, updating and configuring a new system.

6 - Need more specifics.  I am not aware of any tool that can resolve issues with all of the listed software automatically.

7 - No known tools to assist with Shunra

8 - See #7

9 - Are you referring to building out the AUT functionality?  If so there may be some OTA\REST capabilities but I am not aware of any monitoring in Lab Management.  If you are looking for alerts or emails to go to a distribution list when a host become unavailable you may be able to accomplish this with WorkFlow.

10 - The best thing here may be a Enterprise License Agreement.  Contact HP Sales for more information.  And ELA allows you to estimate your level of usage for the next 18 moths to 2 years, pay a fee for that estimated usage and then "true up" 18 - 24 months later based on actual licenses used.

11 - Host monitoring is already automatically done when you start a load test in PC 11 or 11.5.  Monitor profiles and SiteScope are required for any additional monitoring and I am not aware of any way to make that automatic

12 - There may be some OTA\REST functionality that would allow you to automatically add hosts based on some criteria that you provided. If not you could possibly create automated scripts with QTP\UFT or some other automated test tool.  Since this is done only when new hosts or LG's are added to the test environment I feel that any effort to automate this would be wasted.  True you have a one time initial effort to get your hosts defined but after than you would add hosts only occasionally.  Logging in to Lab Management and clicking Add, then entering the computer name and configuration details doesn't seem like that should take very long.

13 - OTA\REST.  Remember that deleting users from Site Admin does not remove them from the Project Database but it does remove their access to the project.  Also deleting users from the Project Database is not recommended because it will cause many types of data to loose data that may be required next time someone edits that object.

14  - This would need to be SQL that you write to validate the tables.  You would need to rely on the automation capabilities of the SQL tool for this.

15 -  You can set up batch jobs that could be executed remotely to change a host from Process to Service and vice-versa.

I worked for a company several years ago where they wanted all 8000 people that were in their LDAP tree to be listed in QC automatically.  When new users were added to LDAP, the next night, they were automatically put into QC.  They had no rights or permissions. But when the Site Admin logged in and there was a request to add employee xx to project yy, the site admin only had to search for employee xx's name and add that project yy to their profile.  If the new user was to be an admin for that project there was one extra step.  The extract from LDAP, sorting out new users and importing them into QC Site admin  was accomplished with a cscript, some VB Script, some OTA calls, and a MS Windows job that kicked off the batch file at 12:30am each day.

The code for this was the property of the company that I worked for so unfortunately I no longer have access to it but it is an example of the type of automation you may be able to setup for your environement.

I hope this helps you

Craig Drummond

HP Software Premier Support - Technical Account Manger

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Craig_Dummond,

Thank you very much for the suggestions/ effort and time taken for explaining every point to the micro level.

This is exactly the information which I am looking for 🙂

Now I understood where to start ; learned many things from this post ,the information provided by you is very helpful.

Regards,

Srihari

HP Global Delivery Application Services ( HP-GDAS ) 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.