Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

How can we provide LoadRunner Analysis "Viewing" to Application Developers?

Many times over the past ten years I have thought that it would be a major "value add" if I could provide some means of using the LoadRunner Analysis Tool to the Application Developers I provide testing services. My thinking was recently reinforced when we contracted for "Cloud Testing" from a company called SOASTA. When the testing was completed, SOASTA provided links to the results that allowed our Developers to connect, drill down, and review the results for themselves. I was "victim" of at least a dozen "Why don't you guys do this for us with our LoadRunner results?"

So... Has anyone found a simple, easy to manage way to provide this level of access to LoadRunner results? It seems especially valuable for the Web Page Diagnostics feature of the Analysis tool, but the best I have come up with is installing LoadRunner Analysis on a separate XP workstation and providing access to that machine for selected users. I recently took that a step further by setting up an RDP session shortcut on our SharePoint site (where we post our LR Analysis Reports). But this approach still requires physically connecting/logging in to the "Analysis Viewer" machine, opening LoadRunner, and navigating to available LR Results files.

If I am "overthinking" this problem/challenge, let me know. It will not be the first time that has happened because I still struggle with the concept of "best practices" for LoadRunner users. I have been using the product since version 6.0, and still do not know for sure if I am using it "right".

Randy at Deere
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How can we provide LoadRunner Analysis "Viewing" to Application Developers?

Once you have created your graphs in the Analysis tool you can generate an HTML report, Reports-->HTML Report. This generates an htm file and folder with the report name that you enter. Put these files on a share and anyone can view the results in a browser. 

You could also provide the Analysis tool install file from the Additional Components folder on your LoadRunner install disk and anyone can install it, they do not need a license. You would again need to create a share somewhere and copy your results folders for others to access. The only problem with this option is that the graphs could be modified.

Performance Center has a web server for reports but since you are using LoadRunner that is not available for you.

I am sure that someone here may have an elegant solution for you but these might be the easiest.

Alan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think what Alan said pretty comprehensively sums up what is available in terms of having a developer 'view' the analysis results, give them the Analysis tool and maybe store the results files in a shared location from which they can access and generate their own views on.

But there's a wider consideration here, how can you improve the process? It is good that your devs are interested, maybe you should try to take that a step further and rather than have them view the results themselves, instead try to forge stronger ties with them by meeting with them to discuss your findings. Better yet, get them involved before and during test runs. If they have been part of the design process then not only does this add value to what you do but you will have the people who have created the application you are testing working with you to monitor the system while it is under load - this is, I think, ideally, the 'right' way to run load tests.

You can take this a step further. Try to move away from the classic process where perf. tests come at the end of everything and encourage the developers to work with you to run component tests - don't wait until the app is fully functional end to end, get involved early hitting webservices, functions, methods, SQL etc. The more you do this the more buy in you get from the team and, ultimately, the greater value you add to the project.

Finally, ask to sit in the same area as the developers. This is far and away the easiest, cheapest and most effective way to remove the fence between devs and testers. Go to lunch with them, get drunk with them, listen to their conversations, go to their meetings. It is shockingly successful.

Oliver
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Oliver - isn't it called agile? To implement the very valid steps you described, one would need to get management sponsorship and probably redo the whole process. I agree - despite the great effort, it worth investing in this change. In change we trust!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.