Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

How many Load Generators need to be installed for 1000 vusers?

Jump to solution
Hi Guys,

Could someone guide me on the below.

To run 1000 vusers:
1) How many Load Generators need?

2) Let’s say I installed Load Runner (Vugen ,Controller, Analysis) on one machine , Do I need to install Load Runner (Vugen ,Controller, Analysis) on multiple machines ?

3) What components do I need Install on multiple machines?

4) Is Load Generator is a separate component of Load Runner? How it works?

5) Let’s say I created some scripts on one machine and 1000 vusers distributed to on no of other machines ,which I installed Load Runner (Vugen, Controller, Analysis).
How do I access those machines?

Please advise me and explain clearly how it works!

Thanks,
Raj
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How many Load Generators need to be installed for 1000 vusers?

Jump to solution
Hi Raj,

1. The no. of LGs needed depends on the protocol you are using. You need to check the memory footprints of that protocol. There should be a KB for this.

2. You don't need to install all the components on all machines. Each component can be installed as a standalone component.

- You need a single Controller machine
- For no. of LGs see 1
- You can have VuGen on a single machine.
- Even Analysis you can have on a single machine. It can be on the same machine as VuGen.

3. See 2

4. LG (Agent) is a separate component. In the Controller, you need to specify the LG machine details. Then using the LG Agent (installed on the LG machine), the Controller and the LG machines communicate with each other.
The Controller machine tells the LG what to do. The actual script execution happens on the LG machine.
You can refer to the LoadRunner Controller Guide for a detailed infomation on this.
If you have any specific question, let me know.

5. See 4

Hope this helps.

Archana

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Raj,

1. The no. of LGs needed depends on the protocol you are using. You need to check the memory footprints of that protocol. There should be a KB for this.

2. You don't need to install all the components on all machines. Each component can be installed as a standalone component.

- You need a single Controller machine
- For no. of LGs see 1
- You can have VuGen on a single machine.
- Even Analysis you can have on a single machine. It can be on the same machine as VuGen.

3. See 2

4. LG (Agent) is a separate component. In the Controller, you need to specify the LG machine details. Then using the LG Agent (installed on the LG machine), the Controller and the LG machines communicate with each other.
The Controller machine tells the LG what to do. The actual script execution happens on the LG machine.
You can refer to the LoadRunner Controller Guide for a detailed infomation on this.
If you have any specific question, let me know.

5. See 4

Hope this helps.

Archana

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Raj,

1) Memory calculation of the machine from where the Load generator generates the load:
Web protocol: 2MB memory required to execute 1 user
CITRIX protocol: 10 MB memory required to execute 1 user
AJAX protocol: 10 MB memory required to execute 1 user
SAP GUI protocol: 10 MB memory required to execute 1 user
Any other GUI protocol: 10 MB memory required to execute 1 user

2) You dont need to install the LG controller on all the machines but you need to install the LG Vugen as it needs the agent process to be installed to communicate to the controller

3) Follow the LR installation process to install the components and you dont need to install the Controller and Analysis in all your machines.

4) Load Generator is a physical machine from which the virtual load is generated and applied on the server.

5) You just need to provide/browse the ip address of the LG machine while scheduling the test in the Controller.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Raj,

I understand that setting up the components may sound difficult.
I beleive you might have purchased a license from HP hence can avail the HP support service.
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Archana,

Thanks a lot!

Thanks,
Raj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Srinivas,

Thanks a lot!

Could you please advise me on the below.

I under stood LG is a physical machine.
Letâ s say 1000 Vusers distributed for 5 LG(s). Each LG has 200 Vusers.
Protocol is : Ajax TruClient

1. On Controller to schedule the test, I have to give the IP address of each LG In this case for IP address's of 5 LG(s)-Am I Right?
2. For Ajax TruClient Protocol how much memory is required to execute 200 users on each LG?
What I mean to say how memory is required per LG for this scenario?

3.So on each LG , installing Load Agent is sufficient? Or Do I need to Install Load Agent as well Vugen on each LG?

Thanks,
Raj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Archana&Srinivas ,

Thanks a lot!

Could you please advise me on the below.

I under stood LG is a physical machine.
Letâ  s say 1000 Vusers distributed for 5 LG(s). Each LG has 200 Vusers.
Protocol is : Ajax TruClient

1. On Controller to schedule the test, I have to give the IP address of each LG In this case for IP address's of 5 LG(s)-Am I Right?
2. For Ajax TruClient Protocol how much memory is required to execute 200 users on each LG?
What I mean to say how memory is required per LG for this scenario?

3.So on each LG , installing Load Agent is sufficient? Or Do I need to Install Load Agent as well Vugen on each LG?

Thanks,
Raj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Raj,

1. Yes, that right. In the Controller design tab. Go to Scenario > LG and enter the LG IP or hostname in the name field.

2. Internal HP benchmarks indicate that for various applications under test, a single Ajax TruClient Vuser can utilize around 60-120MB of memory (footprint) and consumes 3-30% of single CPU core.

3.Yes, installing Load Generator Agent is sufficient. Vugen, Controller, Analysis are not required on the LGs.

Archana
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Thanks a lot Archana!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Raj,

You are right, and all you need to do is browse or provide the IP addresses of the LGs you are going to use to exeucte your script.

2)Memory required is AJAX protocol: 10 MB memory required to execute 1 user. Based on this statistics calculate the required memory to run the load on your LG. make sure that the memory you are going to use is not exceeded 80% of the LGs total memory.

3) Install LR Agent on your LG machine in order to communicate with the Controller and is sufficient to run your scripts. You dont need vugen or controller in your machine.
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Thanks Srinivas!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Srinivas!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.