Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to monitor duplicate process names

Hi,

I am using Performance Center 9.5 and I want to monitor a Windows system.

In "Monitor Profiles", I added the Windows server, and then I get a list of all things I can monitor.

In particular, in the "process" part, it shows me a list beginning with "Idle" and continuing with all the process names it found on my Windows server.

From this list, I choose the "% CPU time" for severall processes in order to monitor them. But, among all these processes, some of them have the same name. Then I added the "process ID" to the monitoring.

But at the end, it saves only 1 line for the "% CPU time" and 1 line for the "process ID" though I asked for monitoring 4 processes.

And, as expected, when starting a run, it gives me only one curve on my graph.

As a comparison, when I use the PerfMon tool under my Windows system, it gives me 4 distinct names :

procname

procname#

procname#2

procname#3

And I can associate the process IDs to the %CPU times.

Does anybody know how to deal with several identical process names to monitor ?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: How to monitor duplicate process names

Hi Marc,

I've had that problem and never solved it by using the built in monitors in Sitescope.

Had to create my own "probe" to gather the information I wanted.

I had a Citrix-server running several users and I wanted to monitor a special application starded by every user.

Things I wanted to see was: Memory used, CPU threads and CPU time

CPU percentage goes up and down so fast that I rather use CPUtime to see if there's a sudden increase of CPU usage.

I think its easier to see if something is using too much CPU that way.

Attached in the zip-file is a bat-file and a vbs-file that I copy to the Sitescope-server folder \Sitescope\scripts\

To configure the stuff in Sitescope:

1. Set up the server you want to monitor in "Remote Servers"

2. Create a new Script-monitor

3. Script Monitor Settings

Server: SiteScope Server

Script: choose the bat-file you have copied to the folder above. My file was called app_logg.bat (it actually only invokes the vbs-script but I needed to do this so that Sitescope could fetch the results.

Parameters: servername,processname,username

I.e "citrixserver001,notepa,Administrator"

Processname in the example isn't a typo, it does not need to be exact (see the select in the vbs)

Output encoding: windows-1252

Match value labels: Memory,Threads,CPUtime

Match expression: /\s(\d+)\s(\d+)\s(\d+)/s

Remote script command file: none

Monitor Run Settings:

Frequency: 10 seconds

Repeat step 2 and 3 for every process or user you want to monitor.

I have a similar solution if you want to monitor processes in Linux. Let me know and I'll upload that also.

I hope this helps you in any way

Cheers

Fredrik

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.