Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to verify cognos excel report with loadrunner

Hi All,
I have doubt on how to verify if the Cognos Excel reports is opened/downloaded using Loadrunner.
When I run manually excel report, we first get the Pop-up asking for saving the excel or opening the excel.
And when we click on open, it downloads excel file from the server to local system.
So I want to measure the response times for
1. The time taken to display the pop-up
2. The time taken to open the excel report file.

Environment:
Load runner V9.0.
Cognos V 8.4
Protocol used: HTTP/HTML

For HTML,
I am able to record/reply HTML reports and able to verify the html reports by web_reg_find. I have done all required correlations.
I followed the IBM document on scripting and as per document, I have written logic to keep looping for the status of "stillworking" and once the status changes to "complete" or the web_reg_find matches the expected string, means the HTML report is successfully downloded.

For Excel,
My question is,
Can I just follow the same logic of checking the status till it moves to "complete"?
The problem with excel, after the status is changed to "complete" from "stillWorking", I can’t verify if the excel report pop-up has come from the "View results tree" or "Reply snapshots" and because the pop is not coming, I am not able to save excel and measure the response times.

So my questions are:
1. How I can verify the excel pop-up has come using Loadrunner? What is the success criterion that I should look for?
2. How I can measure the response time of saving the excel file after clicking on save.

Pls let me know if you know solution for my doubts.
Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How to verify cognos excel report with loadrunner

For Excel, the "complete" status can be checked if it's similar to the HTML reports meaning that it appears in a HTML page. From my experience, you cannot check for the pop-up using Vugen. You can only do this with QTP.

If you record the script and download/save the file, then you should have recorded a web_url that downloads the excel file. It most likely appears as an URL in an EXTRARES of a web request. Look for something with .xls. If it appears in the EXTRARES section, comment it out and put it into its own web_url function. You can then time the download and check the download size using:

downloadsize=web_get_int_property(HTTP_INFO_DOWNLOAD_SIZE)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Umesh,

we are also doing cognos 8.4 performance testing with LR 9.1.
We are also following IBM document.

Yes you can follow the same logic of checking the status till it 'Complete',
this good enough.Just measure time taken for opening a report
Do not worry about pop-up,and saving a spread sheet.
It is not possible to measure 'save' time for excel reports

Thanks
Ravi Allam
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks bighead337 and Ravi for the replies.

@Bighead337,
I did save the excel file while recording and as you said, I am able to see the web_url in EXTRAES. But there is nowhere I can see ".xls" in the script, so I am not able reply my script and save the excels.
Is there any settings for Content Type or something I should do while recording? Because if I get the .xls filename in the script then I comment that and send a separate web_url and capture the excel file to my local system and measure the time taken as you are suggesting.
My client requirement is, Using Load runner, we should be able to run the excel report and save to local system.
Pls let me know if its possible in first place and how to achieve this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I don't recall ever scripting against Cognos application but there should be some indication of a file download. It may not explicitly state .xls. I believe you have the correct recording and do not need to play with recording options...I had not need to do so in the past. It may require the old recording engine (recording options->advanced) or port mapping (which I rarely utilize). You can try both or maybe upload the script and someone can help you spot the file download.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.