Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IT Resource Center Forums - LoadRunner - Issues with COM/DCOM protocol

Hi,

I am trying to test VB GUI based application which is using COM/DCOM communication between client and server and i have the following questions

-Is .dll or .ocx files we need to add as "typelibraries"? I am asking this because some of the type libraries are not showing up even though i add them.

-Lot of "variant_BOOL_anonymous" and "array0VarOut = GetElementFrom2DVariantArray(array0, 0, 0);" are recording, can we delete these?

-Recording Invocation and login part of the application successfully but not the actions on the application, any thoughts/suggestions why is that so?

Any other suggestions or tidbits on how to use COM/DCOM protocol effectively are welcome.

Really appreciate your response in this regard.

Thank you
cnew
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: IT Resource Center Forums - LoadRunner - Issues with COM/DCOM protocol

Q1. you need to identify only the dll's or ocx's which would help you record successfully.

Q2. Try changing the language to VB which would make it easier for com\dcom if you are starting new.

Q3.> what backend is it?

Com\dcom is kind of a complex protocol. if you are not able to record actions on your application you need to tell what kind of actions did you perform. like did you click button or save someting? or is it just dataentry?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your reply.

Backend is SQL server.

Basically it's a GUI application and the actions i am performing are clicking on Menu items --> select one inquiry form --> enter search criteria --> click on apply button to retrieve the results.

I found few .dll and .ocx files and i added them in the Recording options --> type libraries, but when i save script and open the data-->type libraries folder all the TLB's i added or not showing up.Any thoughts why they are not showing up?

I was thinking that may be because of that also it's not recording or ofcourse it may need few more TLB's.

I tried to record using "VB scripting" and also other option "VB for Applications" even those didn't record the actions.

Thank you,
CNEW
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

save a new filter. typically a developer should be able to give a list of libraries used by your module which are essential for communication to sql server. add them to your custom filter and then try recording.

also are you seeing any events generated at all. turn on recording log.

typically your recording is successful if you see that the stored proc getting called is recorded with parameters, along with some other objects.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.