Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

LR recording of Outlook anyone?

Jump to solution
Has anyone ever recorded Microsoft Outlook using LoadRunner for stress testing purposes?
What protocol did you use?
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: LR recording of Outlook anyone?

Jump to solution
Microsoft Outlook can be scripted using the MAPI protocol. You will have to code the entire script manually using the MAPI commands in the function reference for sending mail, receiving mails etc. However, I would also like to tell you that MAPI supports older versions of Outlook and hence I had trouble making my script work with the latest outlook that I had. This is one thing to keep in mind.

Thanks
Prashanth T

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Microsoft Outlook can be scripted using the MAPI protocol. You will have to code the entire script manually using the MAPI commands in the function reference for sending mail, receiving mails etc. However, I would also like to tell you that MAPI supports older versions of Outlook and hence I had trouble making my script work with the latest outlook that I had. This is one thing to keep in mind.

Thanks
Prashanth T

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Prasanth,

I just tried with IMAP protocol just for knowledge but its not capturing anything while recording.

Is that the reason we have to code the entire script?

Thanks
Ajay
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Yes. you will have to code everything, right from the user id/password to be used to login to the outlook to all the operations you would like to perform.

Thanks
Prashanth T
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thanks Prahanth T.
I've tried the MAPI protocol and it's working. I've managed to successfully send an email to myself using LR 🙂

The only problem I now have is how to get rid of the 'a program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in outlook. do you want to allow this.' dialog, as it is introducing a manual step in my script and is affecting the response times that I'm capturing.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
Thanks again
Stef
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thats nice to hear that you were successful in doing it.

To overcome the current problem, I would suggest you to create a new Outlook account just for your testing and use that for your scripts. The current problem you are encountering is because of using your current outlook that is configured to your mails. Also, do you have outlook open/active when you are replaying the script?

Thanks
Prashanth Thimmavajjala
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
We had to make several customizations in order to successfully test MAPI. Here are a few notes:

Your main test account (authenticated when you start the outlook client) will need rights to access all of the mailboxes that you will be using in order to suppress the "allow" message that you are receiving.

Each generator needs the Outlook client installed

Each generator needs outlook profiles for all test users that will be authenticating through that generator

Each generator needs to be standing by with the agent process, not service, running.

Using Exchange, we were receiving security messages that were interrupting the test run. To suppress these we had to use the Exchange Admin pack to customize the Outlook security settings. This required an update to the Exchange server, as well as registry settings on the generators to direct them to check the settings.

I hope this helps!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Prashanth,
I've tried using two different email accounts - one for sending from and one for sending to, but I still get the "allow" message.
Is this what you meant?

Laura,
Thanks also for the info.
I've asked our IT support about the mailbox access rights. I'll see what they say.

Thanks for your continued help on this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Managed to find a solution to the security question problem. Used a little application called 'Click Yes'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
HI,
This is Sree a new member to the forum.
Im in similar probelm where in i need to send an email from my outlook handling all the pop ups thats coming in.
Can some one help me by sending the code as my script i did using MAPI is faling in setting up the connection.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.