Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

LRE2020 SP1 ProxyRecorder / Browser Proxy Recording Mechanism

This is off in the weeds, so apologies in advance...

Once upon a time, back in the LR 4.51 days, the VUGen proxy recorder listened on 7777. Then, at some point, I noticed 8888 became the port of interest for recording. I never paid much attention since the tool (mostly) worked. The owner of the port is HP.LR.ProxyRecorderStarter or something like that. As of 12.63, it's still 8888 but there's a registry setting available to move the proxy port around to your favorite location:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\LoadRunner\Protocols\WPlus\Analyzer\SocketProxyDefaultPort

However, as far as I can tell from a quick glance, it’s not being used in that release. Maybe there’s a flag somewhere to use it, but I don’t know the secret handshake to unlock it. Doesn’t matter – I’m trying to use LRE2020 SP1 solidus 2.

So, I happen to be working for an outfit which takes their security very seriously (no, not those guys…) and so the firewall software is ratcheted up to pretty much only allow in Jesus, Mohammed, and maybe one of the other deities if it slips the maître d’ a $100. Now when I am trying to record anything, anywhere, against any target server, the traffic is prevented from making contact to the process behind the port which is (get this!) <THE BROWSER TYPE>. Remember, the default proxy port is a VUGen setting, yet it seems to have made the browser infrastructure the proxy owner rather than a more obvious HP.LR.ProxyRecorderSomethingOrOther. In the Recording Log, there are three sets of messages saying my browser is unable to connect to the proxy on the <specified> port, followed by a “(Service=)  NOT PROXIED! (REASON: Unable to connect to proxy:”. The winsock error code is the connection timeout or refused, depending upon how the error was reported to whatever issued the message, I guess.

Meanwhile, over in the firewall software’s event log, there will be corresponding “Block All Traffic” rule messages being emitted, so it’s clear it’s just a firewall issue. So far, I haven’t had a deity step forward to help me get the port opened…

My question is – can anyone tell me the history of the proxy recording mechanism and to save me from digging through the Microsoft API (or Google’s), how is it that VUGen is commanding the browser to open up this port that is somehow in reality the proxy recording mechanism?

0 Likes
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.