Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Load Runner - Not able to record "Save as" window

Hi All,

I am using Load Runner 9.1. I am facing a problem while recording a web application in Vugen. In our application we need to find the response time to down load a file from website to our desk top. Following are the steps we following:

1)Open the application
2)Select the link "Download file" to down load the file. "Save as" dialog box will open
3)Browse the folder in local moachine to down load the file.
4)Down loaded successfully

Issue I am facing - During scripting in Vugen, Step2 onwards is not recording. So not able to down load file by executing the script

If anyone have same experience, please share it.

Thanks in advance,
Arun Thomas

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Re: Load Runner - Not able to record "Save as" window

"Save as" is a client side activity and load runner doesnt record any client side activity. However you can try QTP style protocol such as web click and script. But I wont suggest you to use that until unless its absolutely neccesary.

Regards,
Imran
You are resource limited only by your imagination
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Imran,

Thanks for your quick response....

I tried with Web Click protocol. But still it is not recording properly.
I think this is a common scenario (Down loading files from web site). What should be our approach to solve this issue?

Arun
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

You dont have a download button in the application under test. In which browser you are carrying out load test and "Save as" option you are taking about is from IE File menu or the one that comes when we right click on a link. The reason for asking this is because when you right click on a link the option comes is "Save Target as" and not save as.
You are resource limited only by your imagination
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using IE browser. We are not right clicking. But we are selecting a link "Export". After selecting we are getting two windows . First one is Open / Save window (Here we decides whether need to save or open the file). After clicking on Save we gets "Save As" window (Here we select the directory in which file to be down loaded)

Thanks,
Arun
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have similar issue. I'm on a website and click on a link to download a pdf file. When click on the link, a new window come up...showing the content of the pdf. I recorded the LR script (version 9.1) but when replay the script, the file is not being downloaded. No page showing the content of the pdf.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Arun,

Use extended log and calculate the time it has taken to download the resource under question.

You can refer to that site:

http://motevich.blogspot.com/2007/10/loadrunner-save-download-file-server.html

Best Regards,
Ilya
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Arun,
I am not sure whether this will help u or not, but it surely worked for me. Just try changing the recording options. In the RECORDING OPTION dialog box, under Recording tab, select HTML based script. Then Click on HTML Advanced. Use the options (1 and 1). In case u are able to follow it, i have attahced a screen shot of the setting i am mentioning about.
Let me know if this helps.

N Rathi
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

I get this part ... is there a way then to be able to check that the file was downloaded, at least?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.