Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Load generator linux version memory not freeing up.

Hi,

I am using Performance Centre 12.5 and load generator 12.5 linux version x64. We are using an r3.2xl AWS EC2 machine which has 60GB. I am using an web http/html script.

The issue i am observing is the memory consumption of the mdrv.exe keeps on climbing throughout the test even though my users have stopped ramp in and are running at constant throughput. Each iteration of mine simulate a new user behavior and clears the cache every iteration. Over 5 hours of test the load generator took 47 GB of memory with only 2100 users.

the test is for 60K users and it will be a big hassle if i have to spin up 30 Loadgenerator. The simplest script with only two http call and no variable start with 3 GB and go up to 40 GB in 5 hours.

Please suggest any optimization i should try out.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Load generator linux version memory not freeing up.

Hi

would it be possible for you to share the script you used with us so we can try and recreate the issue?

Thanks,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Hi Lior,

Please find the same attached. The script has all runtime settings as used in scenario with additional attributes as used in a Perf execution. I am using LR version 12.5 patch 3 update. The forum is not allowing me to attach .zip file so i have changed extension to .png, please update it to .zip and unzip it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Amitae,

I've downloaded the script and will review it.

Please check your private messages in the forum messaging section.

Thank you,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hi, Amitae,

I'm LoadRunner R&D member who is investigating this issue,  to help us understand what's happened on the LG, could you do following steps and send the related files to me, 

• On the LG machine, run   ‘ /opt/HP/HP_LoadGenerator/bin/daemon_bootstrap/m_daemon_setup stop
  • Clean the files in /tmp directory on Linux LG (assume the temporary directory on LG is /tmp, you can see /tmp/brr_*, /tmp/ LoadRunner_agent_daemon*.log in this directory)
  • Run   ‘ /opt/HP/HP_LoadGenerator/bin/daemon_bootstrap/m_daemon_setup start’ 
  • Now in PC, in “Post-run action” select “do not collate”,  and make sure the extended log is enable for the script, then  run the test. 
  • When you observed the memory used by mdrv is increasing and the test finished, send the “/tmp/LoadRunner_agent_daemon*.log”  and all files in “/tmp/brr_*” directory to me (bingle@hpe.com)

(If the mdrv log files in brr_* directory is too many and big, you can just send me several of them which can represent others. )

Regards,

Bingle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

THanks Bingle, I Will do all these steps and send you soon the output.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

I do see following message  when trying to stop it.

sudo /opt/HP/HP_LoadGenerator/bin/daemon_bootstrap/m_daemon_setup stop

/opt/HP/HP_LoadGenerator/bin/daemon_bootstrap/m_daemon_setup: line 97: ../env.sh: No such file or directory

however i did clean up /tmp

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello, amitae,

Please run: /opt/HP/HP_LoadGenerator/run_after_install.sh

It will setup some env variables used by LG. 

Regards

Bingle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello, Amiate,

The env.sh and env.csh is at /opt/HP/HP_LoadGenerator/ by default installation.  I also attached mine, if you installed LG to the default location, nothing need to change in these two files.

BTW, Could you share detailed information about how did you measured the memory? if using the 'top' command during test, how about the VIRT, RES, SHR memory used by each mdrv process and the lr_bridge and m_agent_deamon process?  

Regards,

Bignle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

I am using free -g comand to look at memory usage. I am sending you the files and memory usage over the test. I am also sending you top comand dump

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello,Amiate, 

I don’t think the command can indicate that there is memory leak. The free command will show current physical memory usage, but It’s decide by Linux system that how many physical memory be mapping to the process’s memory space.

If you using the top command, if the VIRT memory is stable, that means there is no memory leak, for the RES memory, it’s a subset of VIRT, and means these memories are currently in physical memory, but if the physical memory is going to run out, and the memory is not locked, Linux system can also swap them out to retrieve more physical memory.

Actually we have run several test, and do not find true memory leak of LG on Linux system.

Let me know if you have different opinions.

Regards,

Bingle(LoadRunner R&D)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.