Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

LoadRunner Scripting Should Be Made Easier - My Opinion

Most of us knows the syntax of QTP VBScripts really well. And LoadRunner should use our familiarity in this, instead of keeping the C/Java like languages that we've been away from since all these years - otherwise we'd all be network engineers.

I suggest HP enhance LoadRunner's Calling features to rely more on existing QTP scripts to execute the test routine. I also suggest HP make broad change in LoadRunner's primary scripting language to VBScript, so more QTP people can pickup the tool to let LoadRunner reach its full potential.

Because, working on multiple programming language (syntax) is confusing and difficult!

------------------------------------------------------
QTP vs Robot vs Silk vs Selenium vs ...
Guess who won
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: LoadRunner Scripting Should Be Made Easier - My Opinion

If it was easier everyone would do it and it would not be as easy to find a gig 😉

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

lol. More like for HP professional Services to find their gigs...

------------------------------------------------------
QTP vs Robot vs Silk vs Selenium vs ...
Guess who won
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi

Thanks for sharing this.

As the functional architect for LoadRunner and Performance Center I'd really like to understand your feedback.

Is VBScript preferable because it enables the use of a single skill set over QTP and LR or is it something specific in VB Script that you like?

We've actually heard customers asking for Java and C# in LR as these are the common development languages today. What's your opinion on this?

In the TruClient protocol, Java Script is the main language as this protocol serves web applications. Do you think a different language would be preferable? If so, why?

Many thanks

Yair

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It would be nice to have a famework that allows the use of several different languages.  I have difficulty with C because I have to create numerous functions to handle things that load runner doesn't.  I have to remember to pass things by reference or by value.  I have to manage my own memory which can cause issues if I don't properly free it after use.  Most modern languages take care of the memory allocation and deallocation once a variable is out of scope so it's a task that I frequently forget.  Having the choice of C# or Java would be great across all protocols (you can only use Java for the Java protocol).  Adding VBScript will allow those who have experience with QTP to migrate to load testing.  I was in functional automation that got moved to performance automation when the need arose.  It was quite a learning curve.  I hadn't used C in over 10 years!  This would also allow you to upsell LR to companies that already use QTP.  Most of the knowledge of writing the scripts is already there.  You just have to change your approach to testing.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.