Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

LoadRunner to Performance Center upgrade

Jump to solution

can you please let me know how many machines are needed to install HP ALM PC 11.52 edition. Also which machine should have which component.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

This is really dependent on many factors and your particular intent needs to be understood before a recommendation can be made.

Questions:

1) What is the purpose of this PC instance?  Production or Test instance (Production in this context could still be installed in your test environment and the difference between production and test could just be who logs in regularly). 

2) What is your DB platform?  Oracle or SQL Server?

3) How many load tests do you intend to run simultaneously?

4) What is the Protocol that you will run most often and what is the maximum number of virtual users that you will need to run?

Questions if this is a production environment:

a) How many load testers (not virtual users) need to access the environment simultaneously?

b) Do you need to run any virtual users or do any monitoring over the firewall?

c) Do you intend to use SiteScope for Topologies or to enhance your monitoring capabilities

Questions if this is a Test Environment:

d) As part of your validation efforts for new patches will you need to execute a full load test?

Lets assume that you are wanting to install a Full Production install for 100 load testers who are spread out all over the world and they could need to execute up to 20 concurrent load tests and Web/HTML is your primary protocol with 5,000 virtual users as the max, you want to use SiteScope for both Topologies and enhanced monitoring and you have several groups that need to execute load tests over the firewall

1 - Load Balancer

2 - ALM Servers

2- 4 DB Servers in a cluster

4 - PCS Servers

20 - Hosts (configured as Controller)

1 - 3 Hosts (configured as Data Processor)

20 - 50 Load Generators

1 - 3 Listeners (depending on your network configuration)

1 - 20 Load Generators that are over the firewall in their respective locations

1 - SiteScope for Load Testing

As you can see this could easily be a PC environment with over 100 computers involved.

A more typical environment might be 10 load testers who are  all in the same geographic location,  and they could need to execute up to 2 concurrent load tests and Web/HTML is your primary protocol with 500 virtual users as the max, you want to use SiteScope for enhanced monitoring but you do not need to execute load tests over the firewall

1 - ALM Server

1 - DB Server

1 - PCS Server (2 is recommended)

2 - Hosts (configured as Controller)

1 - Host (configured as Data Processor)

2 - 4 - Load Generators

This is between 9 and 11 computers to set this up.  This configuration could grow if your load testing capacity required it in the future.

Now compare this to one of my typical lab environments where I do NOT need to run a full load test to validate a patch or configuration change.  (I can setup this entire example environment using Oracle VirtualBox virtual machines and run them all from my Laptop that has 8GB RAM)

1 - ALM and DB Server (SQL Server)

1 - PCS server

1 - Host (configured as Controller, Data Processor, and Load Generator)

1 - SiteScope for Load Testing (to test topologies)

In this test environment I have only 4 systems and I can validate almost anything except large load tests, over the firewall, or internal load balancing.  It doesn't require a SAN or NAS device for the repository and only works if you are using SQL server as an Oracle DB server install would not be recommended to be combined with the ALM server.  Expanding this environment would be a bit tricky however as the ALM server acts as the home for the repository.

You may find that your answers to the questions means that you fit somewhere in between my test example and the example of an environment for 100 load testers.  You will need to adjust your architecture plan to be appropriate for your specific needs and this planning is one of the reasons working with PSO is strongly recommended.

Hope this helps

Craig

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi,

To install HP ALM PC 11.52, you will need 4 machines to install 4 components of HP ALM PC: ALM server, Database server, PC server, PC host.

Please refer the attahced link about system requirement of each machine: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00462211

Regards,

Chau Nguyen

Regards,

Chau Nguyen | SW Technical Support Consultant.
LoadRunner and Performance Center

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

This is really dependent on many factors and your particular intent needs to be understood before a recommendation can be made.

Questions:

1) What is the purpose of this PC instance?  Production or Test instance (Production in this context could still be installed in your test environment and the difference between production and test could just be who logs in regularly). 

2) What is your DB platform?  Oracle or SQL Server?

3) How many load tests do you intend to run simultaneously?

4) What is the Protocol that you will run most often and what is the maximum number of virtual users that you will need to run?

Questions if this is a production environment:

a) How many load testers (not virtual users) need to access the environment simultaneously?

b) Do you need to run any virtual users or do any monitoring over the firewall?

c) Do you intend to use SiteScope for Topologies or to enhance your monitoring capabilities

Questions if this is a Test Environment:

d) As part of your validation efforts for new patches will you need to execute a full load test?

Lets assume that you are wanting to install a Full Production install for 100 load testers who are spread out all over the world and they could need to execute up to 20 concurrent load tests and Web/HTML is your primary protocol with 5,000 virtual users as the max, you want to use SiteScope for both Topologies and enhanced monitoring and you have several groups that need to execute load tests over the firewall

1 - Load Balancer

2 - ALM Servers

2- 4 DB Servers in a cluster

4 - PCS Servers

20 - Hosts (configured as Controller)

1 - 3 Hosts (configured as Data Processor)

20 - 50 Load Generators

1 - 3 Listeners (depending on your network configuration)

1 - 20 Load Generators that are over the firewall in their respective locations

As you can see this could easily be a PC environment with over 100 computers involved.

A more typical environment might be 10 load testers who are  all in the same geographic location,  and they could need to execute up to 2 concurrent load tests and Web/HTML is your primary protocol with 500 virtual users as the max, you want to use SiteScope for enhanced monitoring but you do not need to execute load tests over the firewall

1 - ALM Server

1 - DB Server

2 - 4 - Load Generators

This is between 9 and 11 computers to set this up.  This configuration could grow if your load testing capacity required it in the future.

Now compare this to one of my typical lab environments where I do NOT need to run a full load test to validate a patch or configuration change.  (I can setup this entire example environment using Oracle VirtualBox virtual machines and run them all from my Laptop that has 8GB RAM)

1 - ALM and DB Server (SQL Server)

1 - PCS server

1 - Host (configured as Controller, Data Processor, and Load Generator)

1 - SiteScope for Load Testing (to test topologies)

In this test environment I have only 4 systems and I can validate almost anything except large load tests, over the firewall, or internal load balancing.  It doesn't require a SAN or NAS device for the repository and only works if you are using SQL server as an Oracle DB server install would not be recommended to be combined with the ALM server.  Expanding this environment would be a bit tricky however as the ALM server acts as the home for the repository.

You may find that your answers to the questions means that you fit somewhere in between my test example and the example of an environment for 100 load testers.  You will need to adjust your architecture plan to be appropriate for your specific needs and this planning is one of the reasons working with PSO is strongly recommended.

Hope this helps

Craig

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

My scenario will fit the below example

1 - ALM Server

1 - DB Server

2 - 4 - Load Generators

I will start with this and if the user base grows in the future, will add machines accordingly. Thanks for the reply

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.